Is a remineralizing cartridge on my RODI system bad for top off water?

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a small RODI system for drinking water. We run the stock remineralizing pH balancing cartridge. product info I will be setting up a 25 lagoon soon with some premium live rock and wondered if this cartridge would have negative impacts on the tank.

Plan is:
1. start with a 15 gal Fluval Flex (getting floors done in a few months), no sand
2. buy a couple small pieces of live rock from 2 different LFS that I trust (to get it started and increase biome diversity)
3. add bag of ceramic ring media in the back (for seeding QT when the time comes)
3. ghost feed (or DR. Tim's) every few days for 10 days, test, monitor, water changes
4. add premium live rock, test, monitor, water changes
5. after 14 days and all is well add a single easy fish
6. observe live rock for a couple months to manage undesirable hitchhikers before setting up in the 25 gal (after floors are done)

I am totally open to thoughts, critique and suggestions on this plan. Thanks for looking.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it is undesirable. It is made to reminerslize RO/di to look like fresh or drinkable water, not seawater.

Once you make seawater from it, you’ll add the right ions.

My primary concern is the possible increased alk.

OP
OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it is undesirable. It is made to reminerslize RO/di to look like fresh or drinkable water, not seawater.

Once you make seawater from it, you’ll add the right ions.

My primary concern is the possible increased alk.
Thank you, I will not be making sea water. I will purchase that from LFS. Just using the RODI for ATO, if that makes a difference.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I will not be making sea water. I will purchase that from LFS. Just using the RODI for ATO, if that makes a difference.
No difference. You use RODI water for a reason... Why would you want to add back some of what you filtered out?

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a small RODI system for drinking water. We run the stock remineralizing pH balancing cartridge. product info I will be setting up a 25 lagoon soon with some premium live rock and wondered if this cartridge would have negative impacts on the tank.

Plan is:
1. start with a 15 gal Fluval Flex (getting floors done in a few months), no sand
2. buy a couple small pieces of live rock from 2 different LFS that I trust (to get it started and increase biome diversity)
3. add bag of ceramic ring media in the back (for seeding QT when the time comes)
3. ghost feed (or DR. Tim's) every few days for 10 days, test, monitor, water changes
4. add premium live rock, test, monitor, water changes
5. after 14 days and all is well add a single easy fish
6. observe live rock for a couple months to manage undesirable hitchhikers before setting up in the 25 gal (after floors are done)

I am totally open to thoughts, critique and suggestions on this plan. Thanks for looking.
If you’re removing the minerals to use as rodi why add minerals back in ?

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like I have my answer, I will just buy top of water too, while my wife drinks her own special expensive RODI water. ;)
You can always just put a T splitter in the line after the RODI but before the remineralization stage and you use the RODI and she drinks the filtered and remineralized water

win win

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always just put a T splitter in the line after the RODI but before the remineralization stage and you use the RODI and she drinks the filtered and remineralized water

win win
This is what a lot of reefers do.

Some even just call it quits after the RO and forego the remineralization cartridge for drinking water lol.

I prefer distilled water myself.

OP
OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

win win
Interesting, sounds like that would require a second holding tank and spigot, right? That would be doable.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, sounds like that would require a second holding tank and spigot, right? That would be doable.
No. You only require a holding tank for the drinking water. A normal RODI system used for reef tanks doesn’t require any tank.
You would just put the hose directly into your container and open the T.
then when the jug gets filled you close the T.
This solution will cost you at most $10 and maybe 15 minutes of time

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

win win
This is what I was thinking. Just pull the water for top off before the remineralization.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use this fitting to simply re direct your DI into your top off container as stated above.
One quarter turn redirects flow to the secondary outlet. Close it up and youre making drinking water again.

I use this valve to redirect my RO into a brute container for de-airation.

SpectraPure 3-Way ball valve https://a.co/d/08hioXR

OP
OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. You only require a holding tank for the drinking water. A normal RODI system used for reef tanks doesn’t require any tank.
You would just put the hose directly into your container and open the T.
then when the jug gets filled you close the T.
This solution will cost you at most $10 and maybe 15 minutes of time
Genius! Great solution!!!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back