Is a Seahorse DT compatible with the Triton method?

Steve P

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first post in this forum. I usually lurk in the equipment forum.

Long story short, my planned build of a 150g mixed reef/fish tank has been put on hold, based on a potential relocation. I am intending on using the Triton method. I have all my equipment bought and stored.

I can't seem to wait to get back into the hobby so I was considering setting up maybe a 40 or 50g cube seahorse/pipefish tank and retain it after our relocation.

Is Triton an option?

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first post in this forum. I usually lurk in the equipment forum.

Long story short, my planned build of a 150g mixed reef/fish tank has been put on hold, based on a potential relocation. I am intending on using the Triton method. I have all my equipment bought and stored.

I can't seem to wait to get back into the hobby so I was considering setting up maybe a 40 or 50g cube seahorse/pipefish tank and retain it after our relocation.

Is Triton an option?
Good morning Steve P! I am only vaguely informed on the triton system but I doubt you would want to invest the money in using it because it will not tell you what you need to know to keep seahorses. With seahorses your main concerns are bacterial counts and DOCs in the water column. There are not tests available to aquarists to determine bacteria and so those of us who keep seahorses must be proactive with excellant husbandry practices and large, frequent water changes to keep those 2 concerns in check. If your water source is reliable and safe then doing 30% + water changes every week most elements and trace minerals stay fairly constant because they are being replenished by the salt.

Keeping seahorses requires a different mindset from other fish or a reef tank. Research them and perhaps read the stickies in this section to learn how they are different.

OP
OP
Steve P

Steve P

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read a few of the stickies last night . They were a huge help.

I'm thinking that running Triton is probably not going to be a benefit here because with this method there are NO water changes. Dosing takes care of the trace element and mineral replacement, but I don't think it addresses bacterial removal and DOCs sufficiently if at all.

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, Triton method does absolutely NOTHING for seahorses and if used, can create false sense of security to those who don't understand that you can't even test for what afflictions harm seahorses.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having kept seahorses in the past, and having tried (unsuccessfully) to keep a reef using the Triton system...

I concur. Triton encourages practices that, while perfectly valid in the reefing world, would likely wipe out a seahorse herd in a big hurry.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about this the other day too. know that it would not work but maybe some day Triton could come up with a test the could test for what we need? I know its a long shot and who want to send in test every week...haha

but could you imagine tho if there was a trusted Bac. test like the hanna checkers...oh my

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 31 38.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 33 40.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back