Is a used DeStaCo2 calx still a good buy?

rb3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I found a good deal on a used DeStaCo2 A-2 calcium reactor. It looks like they have gone out of business. For $800, will it be a good gamble? There are still a few parts available from unique corals. Been waiting on a good deal on Deltec CRTT to come around but have no luck. I can’t justify 2k on calcx.

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't know about the Destaco but I have a Aquarium Engineering auto calcium Reactor and because they went out of buisness I decided to spend the money on a Deltec CRTT 1500. To this day I have never been able to get that thing to run stable. I have tried numerous times and every time it runs ok then one day my alkality jumps. I finally gave up and run the AE. I suppose one day that will quit and I'll have two very expensive paper weights. Also it's hard to find much info on the Deltec.

OP
OP
rb3

rb3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't know about the Destaco but I have a Aquarium Engineering auto calcium Reactor and because they went out of buisness I decided to spend the money on a Deltec CRTT 1500. To this day I have never been able to get that thing to run stable. I have tried numerous times and every time it runs ok then one day my alkality jumps. I finally gave up and run the AE. I suppose one day that will quit and I'll have two very expensive paper weights. Also it's hard to find much info on the Deltec.
Which Alk wasn’t stable? The effluent or the tank’s Alk? Are you willing to sell your Deltec?

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The tanks alkalinity would jump. No I'm keeping it as a back up for the Aquarium Engineering Reactor.

OP
OP
rb3

rb3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ah ok. I’m running an Aquamaxx reactor now and that’s what I’m experiencing but when it does that my effluent is doing the same without any type of adjustments on the equipments. That’s why I was thinking of using a reactor that has a constant Ph saturation hoping that it would keep a constant effluent Alk. I guess I’ll stick with my Aquamaxx and keep trying to get it to the sweet spot. But if you ever want to let go of the Deltec put me on the top of the list.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back