Liquid limestone: Have you used a Kalkwasser Reactor?

Have you used a Kalkwasser Reactor?

• I currently use a Kalkwasser reactor.

Votes: 65 21.5%
  • I have used a Kalkwasser reactor.

Votes: 26 8.6%
  • I have not used a Kalkwasser reactor, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 56 18.5%
  • I have no plans to use a Kalkwasser reactor.

Votes: 139 46.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 5.3%

• Total voters

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean limewater?

Yes, limewater is one of the "secrets" to growing big gnarly SPS, imo. There are unknown benefits, beyond calcium and alkalinity, that we don't fully understand yet.

I've had the best luck running the ATO through a limewater reactor than any other method.

Not sure how there could be unknown benefits, especially compared to a diy two part using sodium hydroxide, but as long as limewater meets demand, its a great choice. :)

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my apex reading a few days ago. It has been pretty steady overall.
But Sam, I do like the build of your reactor.

Corey

Attachments

• IMG_0558.jpeg
    IMG_0558.jpeg
    82.3 KB · Views: 49

XavierZ06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Limewater has been awesome for me. Dosing 3800ml/day with gaps around my trident test schedule so that the alk reading isn't influenced. Have been dosing more through the day than at night to keep alk stable but I might switch over to a PH stability focus.

1000007667.jpg

Last edited:

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Here is my apex reading a few days ago. It has been pretty steady overall.
But Sam, I do like the build of your reactor.

Corey
Thanks!
I'm comparatively new to the hobby but did a ton of research then cooked up the stirrer before really looking at anything that was available on the market.
I am comforted that my design is similar to many reactors out there but happy that it is different by my attempt to get as wide as I could to facilitate undissolved pickling lime settling. I thought that was important so the only thing delivered to the tank is saturated solution not slurry (despite some of the attractiveness of slurry).
I wanted a large overflow pipe so it wouldn't get clogged, and it needed to be motor driven so it could hold a ton of solute. Everything else about the design is materials driven.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing 3800ml/day with gaps around my trident test schedule so that the alk reading isn't influenced. Have been dosing more through the day than at night to keep all stable but I might switch over to a PH stability focus.

That's always the conundrum that, IMO, does not presently have a clear answer: is it better to smooth out alkalinity, or bring up the low end of the pH swing, or some combination of the two.

XavierZ06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's always the conundrum that, IMO, does not presently have a clear answer: is it better to smooth out alkalinity, or bring up the low end of the pH swing, or some combination of the two.
Indubitably. I have been running limewater with an alk stability focus for approx 8 months now and think I have a reasonable understanding of the results. I've slowly been modifying my dosing schedule to reduce the pH drop overnight while still limiting the alk swing to come up with a balance of both preferably. For me, the 1200-1800 hrs window has the lowest alk consumption while still maintaining a rising PH, so I've tried to shift further into the 1800-2400 and 2400-0600.

Currently running this for the last week or so and alk has stayed within .3 dKH while PH has been ~.15 swings (though it was nice and I opened the windows Saturday, which kept me at .1 swing that day)

Screenshot_20240214_105252_APEXFusion.jpg

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never used a kalk reactor because I don't want to dose the slurry in the tank. I have a 55 gallon air tight drum and drip it 24/7 in the tank.

20240211_164633.jpg

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!
I'm comparatively new to the hobby but did a ton of research then cooked up the stirrer before really looking at anything that was available on the market.
I am comforted that my design is similar to many reactors out there but happy that it is different by my attempt to get as wide as I could to facilitate undissolved pickling lime settling. I thought that was important so the only thing delivered to the tank is saturated solution not slurry (despite some of the attractiveness of slurry).
I wanted a large overflow pipe so it wouldn't get clogged, and it needed to be motor driven so it could hold a ton of solute. Everything else about the design is materials driven.
I think what I am doing or trying to do is similar to your method. I just use a larger vat/reactor and a power head to move the water. I do use a concentrated kalk mix though. It’s a little less that half of what the slurry guys are using. For my sized container, I think they would use somewhere between 12-14 cups of kalk. I am using about 4-5 cups.
Sam, where do you source your kalk from? I use Azure…..

Corey

sayurasem

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can testify that bringing up the low end of pH has made a difference to my reef. I was dosing alkalinity 24/7 to keep alkalinity stable. Now I dose limewater only during lights out and kept my pH 8.0 during photoperiod and lights out. My alkalinity swings from 8.9dkH right before photoperiod (after last dose of limewater) to 8.0dkH right after photoperiod (before first dose of limewater).

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I think what I am doing or trying to do is similar to your method. I just use a larger vat/reactor and a power head to move the water. I do use a concentrated kalk mix though. It’s a little less that half of what the slurry guys are using. For my sized container, I think they would use somewhere between 12-14 cups of kalk. I am using about 4-5 cups.
Sam, where do you source your kalk from? I use Azure…..

Corey
A little dub-T but it gets the job done:
I watched the BRS episode on Kalk where they compare the different Kalkwasser mixes (I remember they do an ICP or something on the mixes to test purity) and when I started doing kalk I figured Mrs Wages was good enough; more importantly it was convenient for me to get.

Last edited:

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I can testify that bringing up the low end of pH has made a difference to my reef. I was dosing alkalinity 24/7 to keep alkalinity stable. Now I dose limewater only during lights out and kept my pH 8.0 during photoperiod and lights out. My alkalinity swings from 8.9dkH right before photoperiod (after last dose of limewater) to 8.0dkH right after photoperiod (before first dose of limewater).
I want to do 2 tanks in a reverse photoperiod to achieve this; its hard to convince the wife its a necessity though...

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah! I used to use Mrs Wages for sure. It was hard to find out of season for me at times though.
Then I found an old thread on here and I ordered from that link. Now this link….https://www.azurestandard.com/shop/search/calcium%20hydroxide

Corey

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Yeah! I used to use Mrs Wages for sure. It was hard to find out of season for me at times though.
Then I found an old thread on here and I ordered from that link. Now this link….https://www.azurestandard.com/shop/search/calcium%20hydroxide

Corey
Menards has it on the shelf! As does the True Value down the street. I found it near all the canning stuff (look for Ball glass jars).

wow that is a great price

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a fan of reactors since they are hard to control potency and often do not produce saturated limewater/kalkwasser despite aquarists thinking they do.

I am a big fan of dosing limewater from a settled reservoir. It was my sole method of dosing calcium and alkalinity for 20 years.

As an aside, regardless of the delivery method, limewater does very slowly raise calcium relative to alkalinity, so in a no water change system, one my need to account for that somehow.

Dosing limewater from a settled reservoir is probably my most preferred alk and calcium dosing method, but I understand space constraints may mean that won't work. Instead of going to a kalkwasser rector, I'd prefer to use a two or three part additive system in such a space constrained setting.
Same here, too off with Kalk as Randy describes 25+ years, never an overdose. I have a 10gallon reservoir lasts about 13 days max. I do too it off abiut once a week.

mikst

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always use automated limewater additions, but I don't use a reactor. I just make a 6 gallon bucket of kalk at a time, and it gets dosed. I really don't see a point, for me, in using a reactor.
Any issues with pump longevity if it's submerged all the time? I'm guessing the pump is elevated off the floor of the reservoir to avoid the slurry?

mikst

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another point of failure and piece of equipment to maintain IMO. I drip kalk 24/7 on my largest tank and it is rock solid as far as alk and cal. I don't worry about pH tho.
Controlled drip rate? Or just tightened a small valve until it's a very slow rate and hope the evap rate is equal or greater than the drip rate? Do you just have a reservoir elevated above sump height and run a small line thru a bulkhead? Any picture available?
Thanks!

mikst

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a fan of reactors since they are hard to control potency and often do not produce saturated limewater/kalkwasser despite aquarists thinking they do.

I am a big fan of dosing limewater from a settled reservoir. It was my sole method of dosing calcium and alkalinity for 20 years.

As an aside, regardless of the delivery method, limewater does very slowly raise calcium relative to alkalinity, so in a no water change system, one my need to account for that somehow.

Dosing limewater from a settled reservoir is probably my most preferred alk and calcium dosing method, but I understand space constraints may mean that won't work. Instead of going to a kalkwasser rector, I'd prefer to use a two or three part additive system in such a space constrained setting.
Have you ever had pump reliability issues in a settled reservoir? Or do you just elevate the pump 3 to 4 inches off the floor?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any issues with pump longevity if it's submerged all the time? I'm guessing the pump is elevated off the floor of the reservoir to avoid the slurry?
I use a Tom's Aqua Lifter pump. The pump itself sits on the lid of the limewater bucket and never really touches the kalk. The suction side of the pump has a combo of rigid and flexible airline tubing that hangs into the bucket ending about an inch off the bottom. The pump is on a light timer and runs a couple minutes every couple of hours.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Controlled drip rate? Or just tightened a small valve until it's a very slow rate and hope the evap rate is equal or greater than the drip rate? Do you just have a reservoir elevated above sump height and run a small line thru a bulkhead? Any picture available?
Thanks!
Nothing fancy. I use a brs 50ml minute doser on a digital timer. I dose 7200 ml daily which is just a bit less than my evap rate. I use a 20g brute container to store kalk.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 55.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back