Creating a greener, cleaner reef: Have you used an algae reactor?

Have you used an algae reactor?

• I currently use an algae reactor.

Votes: 33 14.2%
  • I have used an algae reactor in the past.

Votes: 15 6.5%
  • I have not used an algae reactor, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 20.3%
  • I have no plans to use an algae reactor.

Votes: 120 51.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.3%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Creating a greener, cleaner reef: Have you used an algae reactor?

Although sometimes algae seems like the enemy of a reef keeper, it can also be a useful tool. It is possible to fight algae with algae, and algae can also be a great way to assist with nutrient control. Loose algae can often be problematic so containing the algae in an algae turf scrubber or an algae reactor are approaches that many reefers have used with success. Whether you have tried a DIY approach or purchased a commercial product, have you used an algae reactor? If so, please let us know how it worked for you and feel free to share any tips or recommendations with the R2R community!

AmateurReefer_AlgaeReactor.jpeg

Photo by @Amateur Reefer

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

DinkinsLogo.png

“Dinkins Aquatic Gardens specializes in producing top-quality copepods, phytoplankton, amphipods, and berghia nudibranchs. We are a small husband-and-wife company that intensely focuses on customer service. We'd love to have you experience the Dinkins Difference!"

DinkinsBanner.png

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I haven't, but would really like to try one on my next reef.

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Turbo Aquatics Algae scrubber, the item is built great , Bud Carlson offers hands on support. I assume algae reactor works similar to an algae scrubber, just a different design

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about it but a dude at a LFS asked me if I really needed it while he explained to me why he didn't think I did. So I didn't.

Oiseaufeu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep hearing all the hype with ATS's and have been contemplating getting one going to see. Definitely going to DIY it though. $300+ for a plastic box that grows algae is ridiculous.
Geez! I’m not doing that at all. I’d rather do a hob refugium for 50$ than having a reactor!

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i’ll stick to the cheaper alternative, running a regular refugium section. i can understand wanting a more “clean” sump to work in when it comes to cleaning or having space for other reactors, but that’s not for me as both do the same thing

Not_Erick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never used on personally, but I’ve know people who have and it’s mixed results. What works for some may not work for others

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running a diy Fuge. Cheaper and easier to manage but I’ve considered them due to the ergonomics of plumbing it like a canister. Tunz does have a winner and might try that if price drops because that’s way too much for a cylinder and light. Perhaps don’t use acrylic. Most everything in reefing is made of acrylic or other material more expensive then piece of plastic or is it perhaps tooling to produce a plastic something? Perhaps 3D printing because reefing keeps getting more expensive then it should. Off my soap box made of acrylic lol

Last edited:

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 6 going on 7 year old Algae Turf Scrubber (L4) from Turbo Aquatics. It does an amazing job at keeping hair and filementous algae out of my display. Two complaints:

1. Hair algae grows way too fast in the scrubber. It's pushing on the walls of the scrubber within 7-10 days at most. Cleaning is relatively easy, but don't like doing it weekly.

2. It's not large enough for my 340 gallon display. Phosphates slowly climb week to week if I don't use lanthinum or something else to bind phosphates. Algae grows rapidly, just not fast enough to maintain pace with my display.

I'm curious what size the scrubber needs to be for larger tanks. I feed the equivalent of around 5-6 frozen cubes a day and feed a freeze-dried food a couple times a day.

I love that it's natural, gives food for pods, prevents growth of algae on the rocks!

Costly investment! I'd upgrade to a larger ATS if it didn't cost another $1000. And I have no desire to clean two scrubbers every week (And don't have the room for two.

I also use a reef mat, and a skimmer as well as a denitration factory - cannister filter filled with matrix rock instead of filter cartridge. Nitrates stay around 10-15 and phosphates climb to .3 ppm.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 91 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.0%
Back