Creating a greener, cleaner reef: Have you used an algae reactor?

Have you used an algae reactor?

• I currently use an algae reactor.

Votes: 33 14.2%
  • I have used an algae reactor in the past.

Votes: 15 6.5%
  • I have not used an algae reactor, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 20.3%
  • I have no plans to use an algae reactor.

Votes: 120 51.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.3%

• Total voters

paragrouper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any photos of the Halimeda, what do you recommend for keeping it? I always have wanted to keep it
it is fairly easy to keep. It does not grow very fast so I just pinch off bits every now and then. Below is the one decent photo I can find
IMG_3124.jpeg

1979fishgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have refugium in the sump of my mixed reef and two tanks that use macro in the displays.

Attachments

• 27BDACF9-DBAD-4218-BDC0-9381C5B776FB.jpeg
    27BDACF9-DBAD-4218-BDC0-9381C5B776FB.jpeg
    264.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 06AEAD91-E621-41BD-91A3-B0516562C96B.jpeg
    06AEAD91-E621-41BD-91A3-B0516562C96B.jpeg
    313.1 KB · Views: 52

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a big fan of harvesting algae in one way or another. Reactor, sump, refuge, in tank, ATS, ACS, etc.

Lots of good DIYs out there and pre-built.

For built units I currently run two Algae scrubbers. My favorite is the Turbo's Aquatics. And best bang for the buck that I've seen is from WSR.

Just harvested the WSR.
IMG_20240116_184143892_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240116_184444783_HDR.jpg

Jers_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just added a Tunze 3181 to my AIO. Yes some sticker shock, but I’m not in this hobby to save money. It was for my birthday, so I justified, and the wife didn’t balk so I went for it!

I wanted a fuge, even bought materials to build one and read all about ways to possibly plumb a supply and return - some I half thought I could pull off without flooding my basement or accidentally draining one side of the system! I even considered drilling with water in the tank (manufacturer did not condone drilling, unsurprisingly). I ended up not brave enough to try any of the ‘clever approaches.” Been holding steady a while until I read about these chaeto reactors…

Having an enclosed loop provides a safe and approachable option to increase nutrient consumption/export with an AIO (no drilled bottom and no overflow risk). Super easy and convenient to install by just tossing a small pump + return line into the first chamber. Well sorta - I actually had to buy a smaller footprint pump (AI40 centrifugal, selling the 2500 Comline that came with to recover some of the expense).

Of course I’d love to have a fuge - next tank will for sure, and then I’ll probably try to grow it in a dedicated chamber (also get a way more powerful skimmer). But I’m not upgrading until I move! Hoping this will allow me to increase nutrient supply to corals and maybe add an extra fish to the display, while maintaining (hopefully lowering?) both NO3 and PO4 (stuck around 15-20 and 0.1-0.15ppm, respectively, unless I cut down coral feed significantly).

Added a clump of chaeto last week. Arrived quite cold on delivery, and turned a more white than I’m happy about in just a few days. Been adding a little extra trace metals daily, and ordered Chaeto Grow that’s supposed to help and will arrive soon. I think it looked a little bit more green today. Fingers crossed!

IMG_1064.jpeg
IMG_1157.jpeg
IMG_1163.jpeg

Last edited:

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a scrubber, best investment ever. Spent 300 10 years ago and it’s still working for me every day keeping algae out of the display

Ok can get great scrubbers for less, I paid for convenience - no plumbing, no noise, and no screen. Oh and almost 1000 par of red led lighting also :)

A984F882-6F8F-449F-A16F-24A90EF7CE33.jpeg 68888AB6-362A-4A7D-943D-6129BD4A8EA5.jpeg 692FA3E0-DD23-41A7-B133-EA86F8A70BB4.png

Last edited:

Bramzor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loved the idea of it but do you really want something that competes with the corals? Will also consume minor elements so will have to add those.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loved the idea of it but do you really want something that competes with the corals? Will also consume minor elements so will have to add those.
I do Reef Moonshiners. Currently, all major and minor elements are within range.
Will be interesting to see if there is a noticeable difference in uptake with the scrubber over the coming months.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used scrubbers for years on sps tanks without dosing anything but Alk/Ca and no water changes

On my current lps tank I use all for reef and have no issues. No water changes in 2+ years. Scrubbers do release minor elements through photosynthesis also

Gellisjr1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been researching the various ways for nutrient control. I have a 35 gallon cube tank plumbed to a small sump inside my cabinet. I do not have any room in the sump for a refugium. I made one using an Aquaclear 70 hob filter with an intank insert and a huge light. It works and does grow chaeto. The only problem is I can't grow enough to control nitrates & phosphates.

I plan on building my own algae scrubber for a fraction of the cost of a commercially available one. From the research I've done. Using an algae scrubber it can very effective in removing nitrates and phosphates to the point that I may not even need a skimmer. That would be a side benefit however I would be happy to just be able to maintain a 10:1 ratio on nutrients.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, going to place a chamber in my upcoming build where water post filtration returns and tumbles Pom Pom which would keep it detritus and hopefully GHA free. This way end of flow means it would have access to co2 produced via nitrification and mop up any remaining nutrients although if that's overly efficient then might need to add my own as main purpose is removal of co2 and addition of oxygen.

Plus I can feed my tangs as an added bonus.

Plucking excess growth nice an easy. Not exactly a reactor and more like a sump but same mechanism that make chaeto tumble in a Tunze reactor will be employed except I'll be using the same flow returning versus having to have a separate pump. Last I want are electrical cords everywhere or another thing that needs constant maintenance.

DenaliDan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been considering adding a scrubber to my 20 gal. AIO. Obviously, I have the space constraints to worry about but I also want something very quiet. I like all the options that Santa Monica offer, just not sure what's best for space and noise. Been watching here for feedback on these but not much posted about the smaller models.

BobbyJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a Clearwater Scrubber and it’s great! Zero algae in my display and keeping my phosphates in check. I run it on 18/6 schedule. Won’t have another large tank without some type of algae scrubber or reactor

Attachments

• IMG_0935.png
    IMG_0935.png
    973.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0753.jpeg
    IMG_0753.jpeg
    230.6 KB · Views: 40

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll join the Convo :) I just got the Tunze MAR. It's great. Worth $400? Idk. Can you diy one? Yeah. Will the cost savings be worth it? Idk. Where do you source cheap acrylic reactor tubes? Use pvc? Sure but then you have other limits and lose ease of use (seeing the algae, etc - ease of use has value to me); big pvc ain't cheap either. Use a jug wrapped in leds? Yeah, but I don't have a cabinet and looks weighs in a little too (won't deny it). Need to buy a pump unless you have manifold... Can you use cheap strip leds? Sure. Do I have the time? Maybe but I have alot of irons in the fire at one time and go for ease when I can afford to. I don't like dropping this amount but went w this unit because if I decide to take it offline I can use the eco chic light in my refugium alongside the one I already have; ~$100 light. I think it is also one of the cheaper MARs out.. List out all the parts needed w prices (and tax and/or shipping) to diy one and maybe we can compare but I don't think I got ripped off. Good product Tunze!

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use a Turbo Aquatics Algae scrubber, the item is built great , Bud Carlson offers hands on support. I assume algae reactor works similar to an algae scrubber, just a different design

Same here...love my Turbo Aquatics ATS. Bud is always happy to provide assistance and is very knowledgeable regarding ATS. @Turbo's Aquatics

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back