Creating a greener, cleaner reef: Have you used an algae reactor?

Have you used an algae reactor?

• I currently use an algae reactor.

Votes: 33 14.2%
  • I have used an algae reactor in the past.

Votes: 15 6.5%
  • I have not used an algae reactor, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 20.3%
  • I have no plans to use an algae reactor.

Votes: 120 51.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.3%

• Total voters

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
~ What does an expensive lighted tube do differently than a refugium?
I believe a scrubber will perform better, when you compare the actual size refugium you would need to equal a scrubbers performance. Refugium to me is more beneficial for the microorganisms you can have exist. I am curious to see others input on the matter.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe a scrubber will perform better, when you compare the actual size refugium you would need to equal a scrubbers performance. Refugium to me is more beneficial for the microorganisms you can have exist. I am curious to see others input on the matter.

Totally agree with others perspectives and knowledge about this.

I think I was interested in nutrient export by harvesting algae and the refugium was the economical option for growing algae to export. Clearly there are differences between an algae scrubber, an algae reactor and a refugium for performance I don’t know if they can be compared without more effort to account for energy efficiency and nutrient removal rates but I was focused like a laser on the cost to me and I already had a sump I could put a cheap light over.

Other things were not considered but let’s see if we get more information on this one!

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the drop in algae scrubber for my 40 AIO and love it.Even able to take out protein skimmer it does such a great job.
Which Drop did you get?
Which pump? I just got a Danner AP-4 with two outputs.
How long until it started producing algae?

Klaas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Although sometimes algae seems like the enemy of a reef keeper, it can also be a useful tool. It is possible to fight algae with algae, and algae can also be a great way to assist with nutrient control. Loose algae can often be problematic so containing the algae in an algae turf scrubber or an algae reactor are approaches that many reefers have used with success. Whether you have tried a DIY approach or purchased a commercial product, have you used an algae reactor? If so, please let us know how it worked for you and feel free to share any tips or recommendations with the R2R community!

AmateurReefer_AlgaeReactor.jpeg

Photo by @Amateur Reefer

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

DinkinsLogo.png

“Dinkins Aquatic Gardens specializes in producing top-quality copepods, phytoplankton, amphipods, and berghia nudibranchs. We are a small husband-and-wife company that intensely focuses on customer service. We'd love to have you experience the Dinkins Difference!"

DinkinsBanner.png

Although sometimes algae seems like the enemy of a reef keeper, it can also be a useful tool. It is possible to fight algae with algae, and algae can also be a great way to assist with nutrient control. Loose algae can often be problematic so containing the algae in an algae turf scrubber or an algae reactor are approaches that many reefers have used with success. Whether you have tried a DIY approach or purchased a commercial product, have you used an algae reactor? If so, please let us know how it worked for you and feel free to share any tips or recommendations with the R2R community!

AmateurReefer_AlgaeReactor.jpeg

Photo by @Amateur Reefer

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

DinkinsLogo.png

“Dinkins Aquatic Gardens specializes in producing top-quality copepods, phytoplankton, amphipods, and berghia nudibranchs. We are a small husband-and-wife company that intensely focuses on customer service. We'd love to have you experience the Dinkins Difference!"

DinkinsBanner.png
I do have an Algae Reactor but its performance fades in comparison with having a sump with Chaeto and some Caulerpa. I got the reactor out of curiosity as I thought it would be a game changer but it is not if you have a Refusium with Algae. (And good grow lights) My total system is. 450 gallon and my Refusium is about 80 gallon. PS. The corals are there on hold for a few days.

Attachments

• IMG_4058.jpeg
    IMG_4058.jpeg
    306.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4057.jpeg
    IMG_4057.jpeg
    299.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4056.jpeg
    IMG_4056.jpeg
    270.4 KB · Views: 23

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have an Algae Reactor but its performance fades in comparison with having a sump with Chaeto and some Caulerpa. I got the reactor out of curiosity as I thought it would be a game changer but it is not if you have a Refusium with Algae. (And good grow lights) My total system is. 450 gallon and my Refusium is about 80 gallon. PS. The corals are there on hold for a few days.
Yeah , see that is a great size refugium. The thing is most people don't have that room for such a large refugium but you have a great set-up

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the small Ice Cap. Chore to shove into the sump but I got it. Haven't tried it yet. The LED's are garbage and the wrong spectrum. However the dang thing is so cheap it will be super easy to add new leds later. The tank will probably be running months before I even turn the thing on. I am also going to be doing the Moonshiner's method.

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently added the Tunze Algae reactor. One frustrating thing about it is that when air bubbles get into it, all the Chaeto floats to the top so it doesn't rotate as it should and this causes a vertical line of the algae to burn (from being right next to the vertical light).
It seems impossible to keep air out of it because whenever you shut it off to open it (e.g. to shake off the bubbles), more air is introduced. I have a baseball size chunk of chaeto. Perhaps when or if it expands to the bottom, it will start to rotate.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using DiY scrubbers since the 1990's - mostly dump-bucket designs then, waterfall now. Experimented with a DiY algae reactor containing chaeto more recently, but it proved unnecessary.

2016-05-10 102158.JPG

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back