Underworkings of your reef: Do you have media in your sump?

Do you have media in your sump?

• I currently have media in my sump.

Votes: 181 70.7%
  • Not currently, but have had media in my sump in the past.

Votes: 37 14.5%
  • I have never had media in my sump.

Votes: 22 8.6%
  • Other

Votes: 16 6.3%

• Total voters

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the idea of cryptic fuges with sponges. Do you have any pictures of your setup? Thanks!

Here's a video of one of my sumps. A lot of cryptic sponges will grow in the shaded areas in aquascaping and I've found rocks when moving systems that are almost completely covered on the backsides (although that's not typical). If you want a data bomb use "cryptic sponges" and my screen name to see the research on the subject. As my video shows though a cryptic sump isn't likely to be over run with sponges. As they are so effecient at removing labile DOC (1000X faster than the bacteria in the water) and returning nutrients to an ecosystem in the form of nitrogen enriched detritus it doesn't take much.

Evil1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t run a sump, but I do have media in my canister filters. Matrix, rox carbon, purigen and various mechanical media sponges from 30ppi to 60 ppi

mikst

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a video of one of my sumps. A lot of cryptic sponges will grow in the shaded areas in aquascaping and I've found rocks when moving systems that are almost completely covered on the backsides (although that's not typical). If you want a data bomb use "cryptic sponges" and my screen name to see the research on the subject. As my video shows though a cryptic sump isn't likely to be over run with sponges. As they are so effecient at removing labile DOC (1000X faster than the bacteria in the water) and returning nutrients to an ecosystem in the form of nitrogen enriched detritus it doesn't take much.

Thanks, awesome!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back