ourcoralreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is a question for all of you with some knowledge on this
please elaborate or provide links etc not just a simple yes or no

Im looking into making a low power small chiller and want to use aluminum pipe or cooling blocks
so saltwater in direct contact to aluminum and then back into a reef tank

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Please elaborate why not
I was trying to find the thread for you where this was discussed. Please forgive my verbage if it is incorrect, but in a nutshell, it does corrode. The powdery residue...

OP
OP
ourcoralreef

ourcoralreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was trying to find the thread for you where this was discussed. Please forgive my verbage if it is incorrect, but in a nutshell, it does corrode. The powdery residue...

Oh great thanks
And this powdery residue is not reef safe or is it low enough that it doesn’t really matter

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aluminum reacts( corrodes) in salt water and thus releases parts of itself into the water. We normally coat all aluminum parts on a boat to prevent this. Current anti-freeze products for autos include agents to delay, stop corrosion even in "fresh" water systems. Why not just use stainless tubing? It can be annealed so it is easily formed into a coil. Perhaps even use a prefabricated coil ?

OP
OP
ourcoralreef

ourcoralreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aluminum reacts( corrodes) in salt water and thus releases parts of itself into the water. We normally coat all aluminum parts on a boat to prevent this. Current anti-freeze products for autos include agents to delay, stop corrosion even in "fresh" water systems. Why not just use stainless tubing? It can be annealed so it is easily formed into a coil. Perhaps even use a prefabricated coil ?

Im definitely open to other options i thought steel would rust in saltwater
Steel also takes longer to cool might also take longer to warm up giving it a bigger delay (not that we can’t account for this and shut it off before it gets too cold)

OP
OP
ourcoralreef

ourcoralreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you
i was reading this when i was doing research it focuses on products leaching aluminum into a reef and about safe levels of aluminum in a reef system
My question is a bit more focused on if a actual piece of aluminum has prolonged contact with saltwater (water running through it) also not sure if it makes a difference but the aluminum would be very cold
Would that be ok in a reef tank

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 13.8%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 41 43.6%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 34 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back