Is aluminum reef safe?

Slywenis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you
i was reading this when i was doing research it focuses on products leaching aluminum into a reef and about safe levels of aluminum in a reef system
My question is a bit more focused on if a actual piece of aluminum has prolonged contact with saltwater (water running through it) also not sure if it makes a difference but the aluminum would be very cold
Would that be ok in a reef tank
I am an anodizer by trade. We anodize aluminum to protect it from corrosion. In saltwater (and multiple this by 300 if you ever get stray current) anodized aluminum is tested to withstand saltwater spray. This test is measured in hours. The anodized aluminum protects the substrate (aluminum) from corrosion, usually in the form of dissolution and pitting. Again, this coating life is measured in hours, and is applied via mist spray.

That being said, uncoated aluminum in constant contact with saltwater WILL dissolve and pit until it fails, leaving a big mess for you to clean up. With stray current running through your tank, this will occur very rapidly.

Anodized aluminum will fail. Bare aluminum will fail faster.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I am an anodizer by trade. We anodize aluminum to protect it from corrosion. In saltwater (and multiple this by 300 if you ever get stray current) anodized aluminum is tested to withstand saltwater spray. This test is measured in hours. The anodized aluminum protects the substrate (aluminum) from corrosion, usually in the form of dissolution and pitting. Again, this coating life is measured in hours, and is applied via mist spray.

That being said, uncoated aluminum in constant contact with saltwater WILL dissolve and pit until it fails, leaving a big mess for you to clean up. With stray current running through your tank, this will occur very rapidly.

Anodized aluminum will fail. Bare aluminum will fail faster.
Often it’s claimed to be but has oxide and other minerals and a case is old metaframe tanks that did not take well to early days of saltwater aquaria and the stainless steel clamps we use for plumbing that gets quite rusty

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 180 72.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back