is anyone a puffer expert?

jweed9379

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a porcupine puffer that i have had since he was about 1.5" long and he is now about 7", i noticed last night that he was fully expanded "puffed up" this is the first time i have ever seen him do this. I honestly dont believe anything startled him due to the fact he is the biggest fish in the tank, i have noticed now that he is breathing a little heavy not to a concerning extent and he is acting real lazy compared to his normal swimming around the tank, he is still eating normally but my reason for concern is that i have never seen him act this way...is there something wrong with him possibly? Or is this normal behavior after they expand themselves? Also do the expand themselves every so often because they are growing?

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would expect him to be a little sluggish compared to normal as puffing up can be very stressful and uses a lot of energy. As long as he's eating well I think you should be fine.
The biggest issue I see is why did he puff up in the first place?
Check your parameters and other fish for signs of disease (heavy breathing, cloudy eyes etc.). I believe this sort of thing is usually chemistry related or environmental.
IME they only puff up as a defence mechanism, not as a common behaviour. Even as a defence mechanism it's usually as a last resort.
I've only ever owned tobies, so it may be different with porcs.
Good luck!

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never seen a puffer "puff" before and I had three in a tank at once. I would only begin to guess at it being stressed by something, but you would have to call that. Remember, just cause he is the biggest doesn't mean he is the meanest. Just the other day at the lfs I watch a 2" kole tang take on a 5" naso. Naso wasn't the instigator either.

jfitz78

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
have one that Puffs up at least once a day. I have hade others that have never puffed up as long as he still eats I would not worry

nwreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both my Dog Face and Porcupine puff up on occasion more of what seems like no reason, personally I wouldn't be worried if it's eating and otherwise acting normal. I do believe it's more of a defense mechanism so maybe any other tank mate got a little to close for comfort for your porc.

JakeWadley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I have a Valentini Puffer fish. I only got him Thursday on Friday I moved all my fish into a bucket to change the sand. He seemed fine all yesterday but today he was laying on the sand breathing heavy.. About 1 hours ago he went onto my thermometer with his head facing up wards still breathing heavy.. Is this normal or not. I've been feeding him pellets he's been eating a little bit but I'm going to my Lfs to pick up some other food..

Nitrite - 0
Ammonia -0
Ph 7.6

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you change the sand to? Also, why did you change the sand? Sounds like you may have stirred up detritus and causes a nitrate spike. Water changes are always a good idea.
Keep him well fed and keep an eye on him.
Is there any other signs of disease on him or any other fish?

jfitz78

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Tyler do at least a 25% water change I would also add an air stone to the tank until your water level get better

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back