Is calcium reactor worth the buck?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I have not posted on this thread before, I strongly suggest that everybody learn how a CaRx works and how to hand tune it before you allow a pH controller to run the thing based on the readings of perhaps the single lease reliable piece of equipment in our hobby - the pH probe. This way, when it fails or drifts, you will know how to spot it and how to fix it.

Side tip: once you learn how, and it is easy once you dig it, you will never want to do it any other way. It will be more efficient and not throw as much raw co2 into your tank (pH will be higher) and your bottle will last longer.

There are some incoherent ramblings in a paper attached in my signature.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS said he has crushed coral for media and sells by the pound
Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Mashable

Crushed coral is fine - if folks have been around long enough, we have all used it. I strongly suggest a reverse flow reactor with a stronger pump or else it will get compacted as it dissolves and will slow down and stop flow. Most of the newer reactors with tiny low-wattage pumps are made for the larger media that rarely is constricted.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crushed coral is fine - if folks have been around long enough, we have all used it. I strongly suggest a reverse flow reactor with a stronger pump or else it will get compacted as it dissolves and will slow down and stop flow. Most of the newer reactors with tiny low-wattage pumps are made for the larger media that rarely is constricted.
This is the reason I made my modified Skimz reactor, running a Tunze pump, reverse flow.

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
This is the reason I made my modified Skimz reactor, running a Tunze pump, reverse flow.
Okay i just got thrown a wrench.

Do you need to custom make reverse flow reactors

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
If I have not posted on this thread before, I strongly suggest that everybody learn how a CaRx works and how to hand tune it before you allow a pH controller to run the thing based on the readings of perhaps the single lease reliable piece of equipment in our hobby - the pH probe. This way, when it fails or drifts, you will know how to spot it and how to fix it.

Side tip: once you learn how, and it is easy once you dig it, you will never want to do it any other way. It will be more efficient and not throw as much raw co2 into your tank (pH will be higher) and your bottle will last longer.

There are some incoherent ramblings in a paper attached in my signature.
Great write up!

I am looking at the Aquamaxx T1 or T2 right now and will be purchasing tomorrow, i'm still looking at BRS and outweighing these new expensive gadgets compared to the Aquamaxx.

"I won an AquaMaxx at a club auction and this unit has a prefilter that traps/captures all small particles and organics and keeps them from entering the reactor. All reactors should add one of these immediately. I love this feature even though I hate other things about this reactor - such is the case with all of them."
You mention that filter in the beginning. I've read reviews that this filter clogs up quick, and causes the flow to be inconsistent.

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I'm thinking of the tank, and i have a concern if it leaks. Do you guys run in your house or outside, basement sump?

20 lb of co2 enough to cause health issues if leaked?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The aquamax filter does clog up. It is not too quickly, but I have lot of other filtration in my sump before this. It is an ok reactor...like my korallins better, but not nearly enough to replace it. You can remove the filter floss if you wants. It is reverse flow.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reverse flow means the pump is on top?
Cool its reverse flow.
No the pump just pumps water to the bottom and out the top.
My pump sits on the bottom of the sump.
Most co2 tanks sit in a cabinet next to the sump so you can see the gauge.
Just make sure you get the nut tight and there is nothing to worry about.

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
The aquamax filter does clog up. It is not too quickly, but I have lot of other filtration in my sump before this. It is an ok reactor...like my korallins better, but not nearly enough to replace it. You can remove the filter floss if you wants. It is reverse flow.
i just stumbled on this member's post here on r2r about his aquamaxx leaking .. i think i seen you on the comment section. That made me think twice about getting aquamaxx reactor!! Is the sicce 5.0 really that bad? ahh.. im big on reviews too..

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Alright I purchased a calcium reactor went with the Aquamaxx t1 and a Milwaukee regulator with crushed coral as media. Purchased 6lb of it at LFS.

I found a used co2 tank on offer up and picked it up for a steal $50. Turns out it’s not working function and the serial numbers are crossed out. I got ripped off’ and the guy doesn’t respond.

this week I will purchase a new 5lb tank and get everything going. What are you guys using to test alkalinity or calcium ? Hanna , salifert?

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright I purchased a calcium reactor went with the Aquamaxx t1 and a Milwaukee regulator with crushed coral as media. Purchased 6lb of it at LFS.

I found a used co2 tank on offer up and picked it up for a steal $50. Turns out it’s not working function and the serial numbers are crossed out. I got ripped off’ and the guy doesn’t respond.

this week I will purchase a new 5lb tank and get everything going. What are you guys using to test alkalinity or calcium ? Hanna , salifert?
Hanna, Salifert, and Elos.
Hanna is what I use, however it always reads .3-.4 higher.
Salifert and Elos read the same.
So I go by Salifert and if my Hanna alk is 8.4 I believe its 8.
Just got back ICP test and all salifert tesrs were right inine with ICP results.

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Hanna, Salifert, and Elos.
Hanna is what I use, however it always reads .3-.4 higher.
Salifert and Elos read the same.
So I go by Salifert and if my Hanna alk is 8.4 I believe its 8.
Just got back ICP test and all salifert tesrs were right inine with ICP results.
Okay. I’ll look for welding store nearby.

I purchased a sicce pump to push water into the calcium reactor. How did you fit the barb hose adapter 13mm to the 1/4 tubing ?

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. I’ll look for welding store nearby.

I purchased a sicce pump to push water into the calcium reactor. How did you fit the barb hose adapter 13mm to the 1/4 tubing ?
Someone else can chime in as I dont run that type of a system.
Im sure they make a reducer.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you got the Sicce 0.5 pump, its outlet has 1/2” female threads when you remove that stepped hose barb fitting, so you will need a 1/2” MPT x 1/4” OD John Guest quick connect fitting.

Or

You could go from the pump to a 1/2” MPT to 1/4” barb fitting to 1/4” ID tubing to a 1/4” stem adapter to the 1/4” quick connect fitting on the CaRx.

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
If you got the Sicce 0.5 pump, its outlet has 1/2” female threads when you remove that stepped hose barb fitting, so you will need a 1/2” MPT x 1/4” OD John Guest quick connect fitting.

Or

You could go from the pump to a 1/2” MPT to 1/4” barb fitting to 1/4” ID tubing to a 1/4” stem adapter to the 1/4” quick connect fitting on the CaRx.

Thanks man

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok - just looked at it:

Manmade:
ARM : 6.6PH - 6.8PH
Triton: 6.0-6.2
Dastaco: 6.0

Rowalith W: 6.0-6.3
Rowalith C: 6.2-6.5

So you are right here, it seems most (but not all) man-made media dissolve at lower PH

The stuff that dissolves at really low pH is necessary for saturation type reactors (like the Deltec / DATASCO). That's a different animal than what most people use.

In summary, get a reactor for sure, they are awesome. Follow the instructions and learn to use it by achieving a steady bubble count and checking the ALK of the effluent only - not by picking a pH and having a controller turn your solenoid on and off two thousand times a day.

If you have problems with line clogs a peristaltic pump is better than a pinch valve - true - but use caution. Replace the pinch valve with the peristaltic pump at the same position and keep using the pushing pump. Pushing with the peristaltic pump can be risky for over pressure situations. Pulling with it and causing negative pressure in the reactor can cause it to suck in air bubbles which accumulate, clog your lines and will drive you nuts.

If you find that you are melting your media over and over, get a pH controller to provide emergency shutdown.

If you choose to use a pH controller to maintain a steady pH inside the reactor, just be aware that this can be a major false sense of security and is no substitute for a steady CO2 bubble rate that meets the needs of your ALk delivery.

Also, these little fuel filters are a life savers for keeping 1/4 inch tubing clean and clog free. Way cheaper than peristaltic pumps.

1641739741490.png

This advice comes from a guy who was too clever for the instructions and did it every wrong way first - btw.

Last edited:

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont use any filter but then its peristaltic pump driven with very small flow (7ml/min)
Isnt the prefilter itself is the most at risk from blocking the flow?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back