Is calcium reactor worth the buck?

Opes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My goal is sps dominate my second time round. I notice sps don’t like fluctuations my first round so I want everything in place as far as stability before I make a big sps package purchase . Dosing will work, but when I’m dosing 150ml every other day I don’t want to cause RTN or something when I switch to calcium reactor later
If you make the switch leave your doser going at a slightly lower rate and slowly move over to the Calx Reactor. Lots of testing for the first few weeks in my experience, but once it is dialed in you shouldn't have to do much tweaking.

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok - just looked at it:

Manmade:
ARM : 6.6PH - 6.8PH
Triton: 6.0-6.2
Dastaco: 6.0

Rowalith W: 6.0-6.3
Rowalith C: 6.2-6.5

So you are right here, it seems most (but not all) man-made media dissolve at lower PH

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok - just looked at it:

Manmade:
ARM : 6.6PH - 6.8PH
Triton: 6.0-6.2
Dastaco: 6.0

Rowalith W: 6.0-6.3
Rowalith C: 6.2-6.5

So you are right here, it seems most (but not all) man-made media dissolve at lower PH
No problem its all good. We reefers that know what we are doing tend to keep each other in the know which is good for the hobby.

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My coral skeleton disolves between a PH 7.05 and 6.95. I run a much higher drip rate running higher PH in the reactor.
Indeed, if you don't use an accurate (peristaltic) pump and have to rely on stable drip - it's better to have higher PH/lower DKH of effluent to ensure stable dosing of alkalinity..

elcapitan1993

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I actually just set one up about 5 days ago and from my experience so far yes it is definitely worth it, of course I went all out and have the carbon doser v2 and GHL PROFILUX4 and it has been smooth sailing since I set it up, it only took me two days to tune it since I have a automated alkalinity tester

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My goal is sps dominate my second time round. I notice sps don’t like fluctuations my first round so I want everything in place as far as stability before I make a big sps package purchase . Dosing will work, but when I’m dosing 150ml every other day I don’t want to cause RTN or something when I switch to calcium reactor later
When I switched I was dosing ESV at 50ml once a day in the morning.
I setup my Reactor and dialed in 20dkh of effluent. I only needed a few days to get it stable and adjusted alk with ESV while dialing it in.

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
So option 1 aquamaxx calcium reactor. it's not as expensive as the ones on BRS. but then again, a calcium reactor is a calcium reactor right ?

LFS said he has everything to get it running, and a milwaukee regulator.

I am thinking about going tomorrow to get everything. the guy runs his own frag shop, and has a lot of full blown SPS colonies where he frags his own to resell. I'm thinking of absorbing all of his advice and going this route.

Option 2 is to buy on BRS and spend around $1k for the bells and whistles excluding the co2 tank. What do ya'll think?

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
LFS said he has crushed coral for media and sells by the pound
Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Mashable

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I researched alot when I decided to go the carx route. I decided to go Tunze 3171. I was going to go geo but I went Tunze.
The 3171 is small and runs in the sump. No feed pump needed.
I also decided to go quality 2 stage regulator and it has been dead on for 1.5 years now and im on my 3rd 10gal tank.

Get your tank at a welding supply store and just take it in and exchange it for a full one.

The tunze was so simple to setup and run that I took a Skimz media reactor and made a carx out of it based on how the Tunze functions.

Tuning it old school way by counting bubbles and measuring effluent is simple and no ph probe or controller is needed.

I can just look at my effluent and co2 gauge and know my alk is right on my number.

Ok long winded but I would get a Tunze, Geo, or a Korralin carx and a quailty 2 stage and start counting bubbles and measuring effluent.

This method will teach you exactly what your system is doing and give you full control.

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
I researched alot when I decided to go the carx route. I decided to go Tunze 3171. I was going to go geo but I went Tunze.
The 3171 is small and runs in the sump. No feed pump needed.
I also decided to go quality 2 stage regulator and it has been dead on for 1.5 years now and im on my 3rd 10gal tank.

Get your tank at a welding supply store and just take it in and exchange it for a full one.

The tunze was so simple to setup and run that I took a Skimz media reactor and made a carx out of it based on how the Tunze functions.

Tuning it old school way by counting bubbles and measuring effluent is simple and no ph probe or controller is needed.

I can just look at my effluent and co2 gauge and know my alk is right on my number.

Ok long winded but I would get a Tunze, Geo, or a Korralin carx and a quailty 2 stage and start counting bubbles and measuring effluent.

This method will teach you exactly what your system is doing and give you full control.
LFS has the aquamaxx t2. you dont think that will suffice

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS has the aquamaxx t2. you dont think that will suffice
I looked at it and im sure it would work but it would not be in my selection of choices.
I dont know anyone running them. Most locals run Geo or Korralin.
I chose Tunze because of the simiplistic way they run their reactors.
Everyone I know runs a ph probe and a controller. Most of them think my way of running it is outdated and they just laugh.
I do not run Apex or any type of controller on my systems.
I was a technical service rep for a fortune 100 chemical company where everything it automated so I know controllers work.
I just prefer the hands on approach to reefing.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So option 1 aquamaxx calcium reactor. it's not as expensive as the ones on BRS. but then again, a calcium reactor is a calcium reactor right ?

LFS said he has everything to get it running, and a milwaukee regulator.

I am thinking about going tomorrow to get everything. the guy runs his own frag shop, and has a lot of full blown SPS colonies where he frags his own to resell. I'm thinking of absorbing all of his advice and going this route.

Option 2 is to buy on BRS and spend around $1k for the bells and whistles excluding the co2 tank. What do ya'll think?
Big fan of supporting LFS. They want you to succeed and are going to have your back. There is a learning curve with the calcium reactor. Having someone to look over your shoulder as you setup is very valuable And helps ensure success! Otherwise you are asking R2R for help!

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big fan of supporting LFS. They want you to succeed and are going to have your back. There is a learning curve with the calcium reactor. Having someone to look over your shoulder as you setup is very valuable And helps ensure success! Otherwise you are asking R2R for help!
An lfs is a good idea but: I asked them what to get and they told me you cant run a carx without a ph probe or controller so take it for what its worth.
I learned eveverything I needed right here on R2R. @jda had all the info needed and it is really simple.
Good luck with your carx. You can pm me anytime.

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
I looked at it and im sure it would work but it would not be in my selection of choices.
I dont know anyone running them. Most locals run Geo or Korralin.
I chose Tunze because of the simiplistic way they run their reactors.
Everyone I know runs a ph probe and a controller. Most of them think my way of running it is outdated and they just laugh.
I do not run Apex or any type of controller on my systems.
I was a technical service rep for a fortune 100 chemical company where everything it automated so I know controllers work.
I just prefer the hands on approach to reefing.
we'll he is the guy where i will be buying SPS packs so i try to show support by going through him. I looked it up and it doesn't have a second chamber. but i seen that he has all those calcium reactors on his tanks and they are doing good. I just need something to get me started

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
An lfs is a good idea but: I asked them what to get and they told me you cant run a carx without a ph probe or controller so take it for what its worth.
I learned eveverything I needed right here on R2R. @jda had all the info needed and it is really simple.
thank you for the support man appreciate that.

I assume Carx is short for All calcium reactors ? makes sense why i couldnt find the model Carx lol

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@90's reefer - you are a great friend! Wish I knew you when I was setting up my calcium reactor.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we'll he is the guy where i will be buying SPS packs so i try to show support by going through him. I looked it up and it doesn't have a second chamber. but i seen that he has all those calcium reactors on his tanks and they are doing good. I just need something to get me started
Well that sounds good.
I do not run a second chamber and just drip my effluent into a small cylinder. It is also close to my skimmer outlet.
I have no issues with ph in my system.
Currently running 88 bubbles pm and effluent at 44ml pm. Effluent dkh is 24.
20220107_185547.jpg

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 61 32.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 49 25.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 39 20.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 20.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back