Is Carbon, Nitrate, and Phosphate Dosing Bad For the Hobby?

Is carbon dosing bad for the hobby?

• Yes

Votes: 22 21.8%
  • No

Votes: 74 73.3%
  • What's carbon dosing?

Votes: 5 5.0%

• Total voters

maksim serebro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One last question. I have about 2 inches of sand in the tank. Should I start very slowly removing it to help with nitrates?

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One last question. I have about 2 inches of sand in the tank. Should I start very slowly removing it to help with nitrates?
I would not. I like sand and think its beneficial. Vacume it during water change is effective..
That's my openion, I know there are many beautiful bare bottom tanks out there so am not saying its wrong..

ZaneTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another contentious question

I run bare bottom but in your case I would just stick to one change at a time.

wareagle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An old paper, I’m sure most of you have read it, however it postulates that there is a narrow margin of error for overdosing DOC that could directly kill corals, by causing to much of an increase of bacteria within the coral. As part of N-DOC testing triton measure organic and inorganic carbon, which could potentially give us an indication if we’re getting close to these levels of 2-10ppm as suggested by Rohwer
Here's a video presentation Rowher did, it includes all the things they dosed to the coral and how only carbon killed the coral in his study, but raised N and P, temps, and lowered ph stressed them. He also goes over how algae kills coral, and lots of other great information. I'm getting a clam!

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO some folks are looking for a quick way out of an issue. Whether it be high nutrients or algae issues. Some just can’t handle looking at the nuisance algae and will dump in anything to get rid of it. It amazes me how much people WANT to dose something. It’s like going to the doctor and the doc saying, well you can change your diet and exercise or you can take this pill. Some just want the easy fix and don’t see the long term impact.
Although the dosing may work, why mess with it when there’s an easier way? Yes, it's a tool that can be leveraged but it would be one of the last tools I pull out of the toolbox. Keeping the least amount of things in flux seems to help me keep things more stable and corals happy. Water changes and heaving feeding with heavy export has worked best for me. Full disclosure @Ike gave me a solid start in this hobby years ago and I appreciated his advice that cut through the conflicting BS I was reading online. It was hard as a newbie in the hobby to weed out who knew what they were talking about and who was just repeating. Much of the time people just pass on what they’ve heard, with the best intentions, unknowingly passing on poor advice.

When I first started in the hobby I would read as many TOM write ups as I could find. Much of the time there are very similar methods used and it was an easy way to know the advice was solid as the pictures were proof it worked. That said, we also have to experiment for ourselves and see what works best for us and that just takes time and lots of observation.

Last edited:

ZaneTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A much better protein skimmer first and foremost!
I’m not sure I agree based upon my personal experience. I run a skimmer suited to 300g on my 180g it does little to nothing to remove nitrate. That being said my skimmer has saved me from an auto feeder malfunction.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO some folks are looking for a quick way out of an issue. Whether it be high nutrients or algae issues. Some just can’t handle looking at the nuisance algae and will dump in anything to get rid of it. It amazes me how much people WANT to dose something. It’s like going to the doctor and the doc saying, well you can change your diet and exercise or you can take this pill. Some just want the easy fix and don’t see the long term impact.
Although the dosing may work, why mess with it when there’s an easier way? Yes, it's a tool that can be leveraged but it would be one of the last tools I pull out of the toolbox. Keeping the least about of things in flux seems to help me keep things more stable and corals happy. Water changes and heaving feeding with heavy export has worked best for me. Full disclosure @Ike gave me a solid start in this hobby years ago and I appreciated his advice that cut through the conflicting crap I was reading online. It was hard as a newbie in the hobby to weed out who knew what they were talking about and who was just repeating. Much of the time people just pass on what they’ve heard, with the best intentions, unknowingly passing on poor advice.

When I first started in the hobby I would read as many TOM write ups as I could find. Much of the time there are very similar methods used and it was an easy way to know the advice was solid as the pictures were proof it worked. That said, we also have to experiment for ourselves and see what works best for us and that just takes time and lots of observation.
Sadly this is true:(

Also such a blessing to have someone you can depend on when it come to advices in this hobby..
@Ike is awesome, I like his posts and approaches..

OP
OP
Ike

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure I agree based upon my personal experience. I run a skimmer suited to 300g on my 180g it does little to nothing to remove nitrate. That being said my skimmer has saved me from an auto feeder malfunction.

It will do nothing for nitrate, it will keep nitrate from building up by lowering ammonia. Lack of protein skimming could be a root cause for the build up of nitrate, but I suppose you have a point that it won't do much for the nitrate that has built up ;)

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will do nothing for nitrate, it will keep nitrate from building up by lowering ammonia. Lack of protein skimming could be a root cause for the build up of nitrate, but I suppose you have a point that it won't do much for the nitrate that has built up ;)
The caveat i will add to this statment is good return flow rate. If return flow rate is not good enough powerful skimmer will not be efficient...
Return flow rate is so overlooked by reefers ...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ike

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although the dosing may work, why mess with it when there’s an easier way? Yes, it's a tool that can be leveraged but it would be one of the last tools I pull out of the toolbox. Keeping the least amount of things in flux seems to help me keep things more stable and corals happy. Water changes and heaving feeding with heavy export has worked best for me. Full disclosure @Ike gave me a solid start in this hobby years ago and I appreciated his advice that cut through the conflicting crap I was reading online. It was hard as a newbie in the hobby to weed out who knew what they were talking about and who was just repeating. Much of the time people just pass on what they’ve heard, with the best intentions, unknowingly passing on poor advice.

Thanks for the insight and the kind words!

OP
OP
Ike

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly this is true:(

Also such a blessing to have someone you can depend on when it come to advices in this hobby..
@Ike is awesome, I like his posts and approaches..

Thanks man, very kind!

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t measre N or P. In mature tanks, I dose 10 ml per 25G of tank volume. I have not cleaned glass in 2 weeks. Apprentice has work waiting on her.
image.jpg
The apprentice probably under an oak tree, taking a siesta.

OP
OP
Ike

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The caveat i will add to this statment is good return flow rate. If return flow rate is not good enough powerful skimmer will not be efficient...
Return flow rate is so overlooked by reefers ...

Agreed, and a lot of people with too much turnover.

ZaneTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run at about 15x turnover. I have no idea if this is too much or too little but it works for me.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run at about 15x turnover. I have no idea if this is too much or too little but it works for me.
I cannot think of what can go wrong with too much flow that's why am asking ike.
More return rate will mean watwr go through sunp faster, at the end of the day skimmer had its flow rate and will have a watwr intake, since return flow is more than sump intake, sump will always get new water in for skimming.
The other angle would be filter socks..more flow must mean better..
Maybe am missing something, will wait for ike thoughts.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 79.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.1%
Back