Is Cloudy Water Really A Bacteria Bloom?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A report on a recent observation…

I was able to induce the formation of cloudy water in several experimental aquaria by increasing the daily feeding. I thought, “a bacteria bloom, just like in real life”. Under the microscope, instead of seeing a swarm of bacteria, I observed a swarm of the dinoflagellate Amphidinium. Filtering the aquarium water through a 0.45 micron syringe filter until it clogged resulted in a golden colored filter (Possibly a useful method to distinguish a bacteria bloom from a phytoplankton bloom).

I am left wondering if the dinoflagellate benefitted directly from the increase in food, the increase in inorganic nitrogen from bacteria digestion of the food, or from preying on a likely increased bacteria population.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would certainly say that I have no idea what organisms are most likely to bloom when conditions are right, and a microorganism bloom might be a better term. :)

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, Dan.
To complicate things further, I found that with strong light I could quantify side-scattering from my tank water. But it didn't correlate to dosing phyto or organic carbon additions, which I thought was weird.
Then I found the scattering dropped to undetectable with a drop of HCl. So all the detectable scattering in my tank water was acid-soluble - likely fine CaCO3 particles.
Wonder how many other tanks the majority of particles contributing to the degree of water clarity are actually mineral.

OP
OP
Dan_P

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, Dan.
To complicate things further, I found that with strong light I could quantify side-scattering from my tank water. But it didn't correlate to dosing phyto or organic carbon additions, which I thought was weird.
Then I found the scattering dropped to undetectable with a drop of HCl. So all the detectable scattering in my tank water was acid-soluble - likely fine CaCO3 particles.
Wonder how many other tanks the majority of particles contributing to the degree of water clarity are actually mineral.
Darn, I forgot about this study.

Abiotic and biotic causes of cloudy water. Acid clarification to test for suspended carbonate particulates, and a syringe filter to concentrate organism for color determination.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back