Is having polished edges on your aquarium worth the extra price?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, is that actually the difference between having polished edges and not? When I asked them what they meant by polished edges they said it was mostly an aesthetic thing; I had no idea that the edges would be sharp with polishing.

Perhaps it is a terminology misunderstanding. Hard to see how ANY commercial tank builder would sell a rimless tank without easing the sharp edges …. seems like it'd be a perfect negligence case. They may mean beveling the edges for aesthetics.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps it is a terminology misunderstanding. Hard to see how ANY commercial tank builder would sell a rimless tank without easing the sharp edges …. seems like it'd be a perfect negligence case. They may mean beveling the edges for aesthetics.
I just posted pictures from Concept for the two options. Sanded is pretty much just that, a quick sanding pass to slightly bevel the sharp edge.

U

User1

View Badges
I got a quote from Concept aquariums for a 60x12x12 tank. If I wanted polished edges on my aquarium it was an extra $160, which seems like a lot for something that is only cosmetic. I can't find much information on Google about what polished edges even are, but I'm wondering if it's worth the extra money?

Out of Canada?

Short answer is yes. You want it done regardless and it is a drop in the bucket compared to the overall price. Don't look at it as 160 dollars. Look at the overall cost of the tank, shipping, and everything else post water. Now that 160 dollars is nothing in comparison.

I have a tank from them. My original design had it included. I also paid for it. However, when the tank arrived I did not have polished edges on my euro brace. It is a ugly mess. Instead of complaining and having it fixed via new tank, someone coming out and fixing, or refund I just said forget it. Not worth it for any of us and I'll just put a canopy on it and it won't be seen.

Enter today and guess what - no canopy and I'm using a open top design. 1/2" or so thick non polished glass is an eye sore. So much that I'm considering a new tank. How do you like that????

So yeah - get polished. The cost is nothing and this way you won't have to worry about it another day should you change design down the road.

OP
OP
Lindebrah

Lindebrah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of Canada?

Short answer is yes. You want it done regardless and it is a drop in the bucket compared to the overall price. Don't look at it as 160 dollars. Look at the overall cost of the tank, shipping, and everything else post water. Now that 160 dollars is nothing in comparison.

I have a tank from them. My original design had it included. I also paid for it. However, when the tank arrived I did not have polished edges on my euro brace. It is a ugly mess. Instead of complaining and having it fixed via new tank, someone coming out and fixing, or refund I just said forget it. Not worth it for any of us and I'll just put a canopy on it and it won't be seen.

Enter today and guess what - no canopy and I'm using a open top design. 1/2" or so thick non polished glass is an eye sore. So much that I'm considering a new tank. How do you like that????

So yeah - get polished. The cost is nothing and this way you won't have to worry about it another day should you change design down the road.
I was pretty much convinced before, but that settles it. Sorry about what happened, but thanks for letting me know. Will definitely be paying the extra money for the polishing.

U

User1

View Badges
I was pretty much convinced before, but that settles it. Sorry about what happened, but thanks for letting me know. Will definitely be paying the extra money for the polishing.

Looking back at what I wrote seems like maybe I came in a bit too hot. Sorry about that. Not my intent. All I really meant is when you look at the overall cost of everything to me 160 or so dollars doesn't seem like a lot. I know everyone is a better planner than I am but I just wanted to also throw out you may make a change. The change may mean the edges are now visible.

This was one issue with the thank. I had another again minor. I asked for a smooth weir and when it showed up it had teeth. In fact they suggested instead of a smooth weir coast to coast style that I have a 1/2" cut out instead to prevent fish or snails passing through but still have the smooth weir effect. I'm like great idea - do it. Arrives and I have the cutout and teeth :( I'm like forget it - i'll just cut it and it will work.

Think I did that too? Nope - still have the teeth. Which brings me back full circle to pay now just to be safe. I'm not trying to spend your money but wanted to say don't be me :) Great tank other than that and it has been up for 2 years with water. I had a steel stand included. I wish they added another brace but I think it is good.

OP
OP
Lindebrah

Lindebrah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking back at what I wrote seems like maybe I came in a bit too hot. Sorry about that. Not my intent. All I really meant is when you look at the overall cost of everything to me 160 or so dollars doesn't seem like a lot. I know everyone is a better planner than I am but I just wanted to also throw out you may make a change. The change may mean the edges are now visible.

This was one issue with the thank. I had another again minor. I asked for a smooth weir and when it showed up it had teeth. In fact they suggested instead of a smooth weir coast to coast style that I have a 1/2" cut out instead to prevent fish or snails passing through but still have the smooth weir effect. I'm like great idea - do it. Arrives and I have the cutout and teeth :( I'm like forget it - i'll just cut it and it will work.

Think I did that too? Nope - still have the teeth. Which brings me back full circle to pay now just to be safe. I'm not trying to spend your money but wanted to say don't be me :) Great tank other than that and it has been up for 2 years with water. I had a steel stand included. I wish they added another brace but I think it is good.
Didn't think you were coming in hot or anything like that, actually really appreciate what you said. Could you elaborate on the smooth weir? I've never heard of that before.

SaltMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to work for a glass company and the edge of glass is the weakest point. A polished edge actually makes the glass stronger. A polished edge for any aquarium should be standard. Do yourself a favor and opt for the polished edges. Every time you look at your aquarium, you will be happy you did.

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a custom rimless from CDA in California. It came with both polished and beveled edges. Both were included in the price.

OP
OP
Lindebrah

Lindebrah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to work for a glass company and the edge of glass is the weakest point. A polished edge actually makes the glass stronger. A polished edge for any aquarium should be standard. Do yourself a favor and opt for the polished edges. Every time you look at your aquarium, you will be happy you did.
I've been convinced! Getting the polished edges.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 97 44.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 73 33.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back