Is it completely safe to drop a fish from 1.028 to 1.024SG?

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish store, for some reason, has this new yasha goby at 1.028 sg. I've heard it is safe to drop a fish down quickly but should I just do a drip acclimation? or is that unnecessary ?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
First - I would be curious (in a negative way) - that a fish store (the experts) - are keeping a tank at 1.028 in the first place. Second - If the fish store is near you as compared to shipped - yes - your drip plan seems right. If its not - thats a different issue - as many others have said - Salinity low to high is less problematic compared to the reverse.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Fish store, for some reason, has this new yasha goby at 1.028 sg. I've heard it is safe to drop a fish down quickly but should I just do a drip acclimation? or is that unnecessary ?
You can drop quickly but raise slowly

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First - I would be curious (in a negative way) - that a fish store (the experts) - are keeping a tank at 1.028 in the first place. Second - If the fish store is near you as compared to shipped - yes - your drip plan seems right. If its not - thats a different issue - as many others have said - Salinity low to high is less problematic compared to the reverse.

Fish store salinity is all over the place. They add and remove so much water a day it’s crazy. I’d be happy to find a store keeping fish at 1.028. Most here are hyposalinity for anything except inverts and coral.

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I'm not sure she is as experienced as she should be. They bought the store from someone not long ago and half offered to sell it to me already... I got her to order the Yasha gobies for me so that was cool.

The store is only a couple miles from me so the yasha hasn't been in the bag long. I am letting him out now.

The 1.028sg confused me. I didn't think there was any reason to have high salinity. She sold someone salt water while I was there ://

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, I'm not sure she is as experienced as she should be. They bought the store from someone not long ago and half offered to sell it to me already... I got her to order the Yasha gobies for me so that was cool.

The store is only a couple miles from me so the yasha hasn't been in the bag long. I am letting him out now.

The 1.028sg confused me. I didn't think there was any reason to have high salinity. She sold someone salt water while I was there ://
Right - I was trying to suggest - you probably don't need to be very careful - how are the fish doing.

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right - I was trying to suggest - you probably don't need to be very careful - how are the fish doing.
Ah, I see. I am always so nervous when getting a new fish. I went like a year without any casualties or difficulties and just started buying fish again.

The yasha goby is sitting in the same spot he swam down to when I released him. His breathing has slowed greatly from the panic of being in the bag. It is looking good to me.

he reacts a little when I lean in to get a good look. He just kinda wiggles like he is trying to bury himself into the corner. It is a QT tank with very little sand though.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back