Is it me or my rocks disintegrating ?

Habibi Brizzy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,
So since I started this tank in February I’ve been noticing the rocks are either disintegrating or coralline is fading? I don’t know if it’s just me.

this is my tank when I first got it up and running in February
AC33B2E8-FF77-4AEC-9C07-701BB115665A.png

this is my tank currently. It seems like the side of the live rock is gone. Also that turbo snail in the back has a white shell, that white part of the shell used to be pink.
C3EC490B-9F72-491E-8F0B-451D53E08F15.jpeg

I’m wondering if it could be due to low calcium ? Idk correct me if I am wrong.

My thoughts right now: I recently bought a bigger tank and I’m going to break down this one and move everything to the new one. I’ve been using premixed instant ocean from my LFS, but with this new tank I decided to start making my own saltwater using tropic Marin. I’m hoping that when I transfer everything, it should go back to normal.
what are some of your thoughts ? It would nice to receive some insight.

Staghorn

Original Reef Gangster
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The colors are different but the rock seems to still be there. You would have to have super super super low ph in your tank for the rocks to be dissolving. I think it’s just an optical illusion.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

Habibi Brizzy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The colors are different but the rock seems to still be there. You would have to have super super super low ph in your tank for the rocks to be dissolving. I think it’s just an optical illusion.
Well could it maybe calcium for what is causing coralline to fade ?

Upvote 0

RuuToo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just eyeballing it, I’d say you bought cured “Real” reef rock, which is dyed purple and can rake some time to get real corraline coverage. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing - don’t worry. The dry rock looks like what I would expect for a month. Just give them both time, and maybe look for a source to seed some from,

Dave

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

Habibi Brizzy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just eyeballing it, I’d say you bought cured “Real” reef rock, which is dyed purple and can rake some time to get real corraline coverage. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing - don’t worry. The dry rock looks like what I would expect for a month. Just give them both time, and maybe look for a source to seed some from,

Dave
Thanks Dave!
I appreciate the advice.

Brian

Upvote 0
Back