Is it normal for asterina starfish to latch onto seahorses?

lulu1228

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I have a lot of questions but I've got another!
So I've noticed asterina starfish latching onto my seahorses and it seems to irritate them. When they get off they leave a white mark. I got a harlequin shrimp but is this normal?

PXL_20230126_030706058.jpg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I have a lot of questions but I've got another!
So I've noticed asterina starfish latching onto my seahorses and it seems to irritate them. When they get off they leave a white mark. I got a harlequin shrimp but is this normal?

PXL_20230126_030706058.jpg
I’m not sure how normal it is, but I don’t know that I’ve heard of someone having these stars in their seahorse tank before.

When you say they leave a white mark, does the white mark fade quickly (within seconds/minutes) or does it stay?

If it stays, I’d guess you’re seeing feeding scars from where the “Asterinas” (technically Aquilonastras) are eating - presumably, they’d be eating biofilm off of the seahorse (rather than trying to eat the seahorse itself), but the everted stomach of the starfish may coincidentally be partially digesting (damaging) the skin of the seahorse as well in the process (which would be pretty uncomfortable for the seahorse for obvious reasons, and would explain why the stars climbing on them irritates them).

1674704350109.jpeg

Picture “d” in this figure (from the link below) shows some feeding scars from a different starfish species (Nidorellia armata) in a patch of coralline algae - this may help you figure out if the white marks on your seahorses look like feeding scars or not.

OP
OP
L

lulu1228

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure how normal it is, but I don’t know that I’ve heard of someone having these stars in their seahorse tank before.

When you say they leave a white mark, does the white mark fade quickly (within seconds/minutes) or does it stay?

If it stays, I’d guess you’re seeing feeding scars from where the “Asterinas” (technically Aquilonastras) are eating - presumably, they’d be eating biofilm off of the seahorse (rather than trying to eat the seahorse itself), but the everted stomach of the starfish may coincidentally be partially digesting (damaging) the skin of the seahorse as well in the process (which would be pretty uncomfortable for the seahorse for obvious reasons, and would explain why the stars climbing on them irritates them).

1674704350109.jpeg

Picture “d” in this figure (from the link below) shows some feeding scars from a different starfish species (Nidorellia armata) in a patch of coralline algae - this may help you figure out if the white marks on your seahorses look like feeding scars or not.
The white marks don't go away very quick so they're probably bite marks, right? The starfish have overrun the system lol. I had to get a harlequin shrimp to handle it. The marks are little white dots. I'll see if I can get a picture. They aren't really in a starfish shape lol

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The white marks don't go away very quick so they're probably bite marks, right? The starfish have overrun the system lol. I had to get a harlequin shrimp to handle it. The marks are little white dots. I'll see if I can get a picture. They aren't really in a starfish shape lol
I'm not sure. It could be feeding scars, it could be the seahorse camouflaging somehow, or it could be something else entirely.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

locito277

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s the stars. They rasp the seahorses in the process of eating algae. Could lead to vibrio. Harlequins will do the job. I had the, in my tank too

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, it does happen. The stars are eating the biofilm on the seahorses. The population of the stars is probably booming due to availability of food. Hopefully, the harlequin shrimp does it job quickly.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back