Seahorse help URGENT

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I went ahead and bought another seahorse this was an adult! I do not have the mandarin in THis tank anymore, just the juvenile and adult seahorse. Plus 3 hermit crabs. When at the LFS I spotted this beautiful seahorse however the tail looked white and I asked the owner he said it looks fine. Upon taking it out in light I couldn’t tell and again I asked does this tail look normal. I have a feeling I should have gone with my gut because when I put him under decent bright lights this is what I got. I am worried about the seahorse I know it can be stressed but is resting in the sand. After it was added the juvenile swam over to the adult and latched onto him for 3 mins before departing .
Thoughts :(

34CA1E7F-6626-4F59-A109-22B0388D0C01.jpeg 303C806A-4D2E-4D10-A206-B13448E849A1.jpeg

Pescador

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi haigyfish,
I have delt with many seahorse issues including tail rot. I have lost a couple of seahorses to it but have been able to successfully treat others.

Has the whiteness progressed since the original post?

How is the seahorse's behavior? Tasting on the sand can be normal, but it would be concerning if the seahorse were to lie down flat in the sand, or struggle to get up. It would also be concerning if she were unable to hitch due to a loss of prehensility in her tail.

Is the seahorse eating?

I can give some quick advice:

1. Make sure the water temperature stays below 74°F. This is to slow bacterial growth, especially the ones that can cause big problems for seahorses.

2. If you believe it is tail rot disease, start an antibiotic. Research what will work best for you. I use a mix of seachem sulfaplex and neoplex along with seachem focus to bind it to frozen mysis.

3. Many would advise treating the other seahorse as well to prevent infection. I'm on the fence as to whether this is necessary.

4. You can put Neosporin (the kind without additional ingredients - look this up first) on the affected area. Use a Q-tip to briefly dry the legion first so that it will stick better.

Good luck!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back