OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can see some paleness near the end of the tail that is not normal, and is a pretty common sign of bacterial or Uronema in seahorses. Hopefully it is just a minor injury/scrape and it will go away.

Is the new horse eating?

Jay
Update seahorse is doing fine can’t fully te if he’s eating frozen but he looks interested when I add it in.
Here is tail pictured

Attachments

• 85C30EA0-A054-4683-A0E6-15F3AB06FA30.jpeg
    85C30EA0-A054-4683-A0E6-15F3AB06FA30.jpeg
    167.2 KB · Views: 25
  • DEE4A586-06C8-4A38-AE44-73E7212F5A05.jpeg
    DEE4A586-06C8-4A38-AE44-73E7212F5A05.jpeg
    197.3 KB · Views: 25
OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Update seahorse is doing fine can’t fully te if he’s eating frozen but he looks interested when I add it in.
Here is tail pictured
You can’t really tell in this picture but it looks like the white isn’t at the direct tip but a few mm after the tail ends. It looks to not be as pale anymore too! Thoughts?

Attachments

• 98FD646A-EE5E-44D4-80A7-4910B2DB0732.jpeg
    98FD646A-EE5E-44D4-80A7-4910B2DB0732.jpeg
    144.7 KB · Views: 20

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can’t really tell in this picture but it looks like the white isn’t at the direct tip but a few mm after the tail ends. It looks to not be as pale anymore too! Thoughts?

Well - it doesn't look like it is getting worse, so that's good.

Jay

OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry to bother but would have it been significantly worse if it has been over 6 days?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to bother but would have it been significantly worse if it has been over 6 days?
Not sure what you mean - some of these white lesions on seahorses tend to grow larger and deeper over time….that’s serious. That this one seems stable over that time frame is better news.
Jay

OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not sure what you mean - some of these white lesions on seahorses tend to grow larger and deeper over time….that’s serious. That this one seems stable over that time frame is better news.
Jay
Hey so looks like the white patch is still there but getting smaller by the day. I am not sure if he is eating frozen so I have been adding live bbs enriched w Selcon.
Just curious if there are certain snails I should or shouldn’t add, my tank needs a solid clean up crew!!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey so looks like the white patch is still there but getting smaller by the day. I am not sure if he is eating frozen so I have been adding live bbs enriched w Selcon.
Just curious if there are certain snails I should or shouldn’t add, my tank needs a solid clean up crew!!

Non-algae eating snails, like Nassarius, would be better for cleaning up uneaten food.

Jay

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so been looking to SH for years. finally have a tank set up but not adding any untill have the mass travel as I'll be gone 4 weeks over the next 2 months.
any...
most ppl keep there temps below 74. SH are very prone to bacterial infections . bac. spreat faster in higher temps.

also if adding more SH just get tank breed ones that are eating mysis. wild caught are very hard to get eating.

start off with live then slowly transition over to mysis.

there are FW dips and other medications for SH. I would join one of the FB Sh groups post a pic of the tail and get the meds you need to treat.
best of luck!

Pescador

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has it eaten yet? Seahorses need to eat frequently, they graze all day.

Seahorses normally eat copepods as their normal diet, have you tried feeding pods? You can buy pods, can also buy things like frozen cyclops, can o cyclops, bottle of artic pods, etc.... Live baby brine shrimp should also work.

Seahorses don't like too much flow, they are not strong swimmers. At the same time, you should try to avoid the water becoming stagnant. There should be some agitation on the water surface at least, to help with gas exchange.

77.6 is higher than I would do it, I would keep it closer to 75

I don't have my seahorses yet, I will build my seahorse tank after Christmas, so I've been researching a lot and my rocks are curing and my mangrove tree growing
Hi Mojo,
I think the information you are working with is more specific to dwarf seahorses. Lined seahorses cannot consist on copepods. They also do not have to graze constantly like a dwarf. In general, larger species of seahorse, like the lined seahorse, should be fed twice a day, and they need a much larger food (the normal staple is frozen mysis) to meet their energy demands.

Good call on the temperature. I used to keep them at 76 and the seemed a bit off it it got warmer than that. Now I keep the temp below 74 because Vibrio bacteria replicate exponentially faster with each degree above that number. I have lots of stony corals thriving at that temperature as well.

OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So looks like my Fluval filter just shut down I have an aerator running but how long will my seahorses be okay like this!????
Hi Mojo,
I think the information you are working with is more specific to dwarf seahorses. Lined seahorses cannot consist on copepods. They also do not have to graze constantly like a dwarf. In general, larger species of seahorse, like the lined seahorse, should be fed twice a day, and they need a much larger food (the normal staple is frozen mysis) to meet their energy demands.

Good call on the temperature. I used to keep them at 76 and the seemed a bit off it it got warmer than that. Now I keep the temp below 74 because Vibrio bacteria replicate exponentially faster with each degree above that number. I have lots of stony corals thriving at that temperature as well.

OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Non-algae eating snails, like Nassarius, would be better for cleaning up uneaten food.

Jay
Update: my filter went out and I got it working again. However this time it’s outflow seems way stronger, before it was just a dribble out and now it’s coming out like the first day I bought it. Curious if this can be to much flow

Attachments

• 72075488251__93F01F17-277C-4EDE-B4F8-3F82C253FCDF.MOV
    606.1 KB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: my filter went out and I got it working again. However this time it’s outflow seems way stronger, before it was just a dribble out and now it’s coming out like the first day I bought it. Curious if this can be to much flow

The tank could use more aeration - something that breaks the surface tension.

Water current is a tough issue with seahorses - in the ocean, they can handle strong currents, but that's because those currents come and go and change direction, the seahorses then feed during slack time in the currents. In an aquarium, with the water blasting the same direction, they can have difficulty feeding.

Jay

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 43 75.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 10.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back