Stocking ideas for 60 gal?

ivysbe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I wanted to get some input on stocking ideas for my 60-gallon reef tank. Right now it's mainly empty (just a clownfish and royal gramma) and a bunch of corals. The tank itself is pretty well-established and I'm considering getting a more 'finicky' fish but can't seem to make up my mind. These are my ideas so far:

- Leopard wrasse: I think these guys are super neat-looking but I know they can be picky eaters. I don't want to get one and condemn it to starvation because it won't eat frozen food. I do dose the tank with copepods and am planning to start some pod cultures but I would like to avoid being dependent on pods.

- Mandarin dragonet: Sort of similar to the wrasse I know these guys are pretty crazy pod hunters. Would probably end up getting captive-bred just to maximize the chances of it eating prepared food.

- Seahorse pair(s?): Okay, I am well aware of how notoriously hard seahorses are to keep, but I want to get some opinions (or someone to talk me out of it!) Most of the corals in the tank, except for a large bubble coral are non-stinging and can be used as 'hitching posts.' I have a *lot* of xenia and kenya trees in the tank as well as a couple of gorgonians currently. I'd probably look into getting more gorgonians/more hitching posts if I went this route. Of course, the biggest issue with seahorses is feeding. Like the dragonet, I'd get the seahorses captive-bred so that they are more likely to accept frozen, but I'm more concerned about the frequency of feeding. I probably consistently feed frozen every other day, which most likely isn't enough to maintain healthy seahorses. Would having a large pod population help mitigate that? And would captive-bred seahorses even recognize pods as food?

Anyway, I'd appreciate y'alls input! I really don't want to make the jump and buy a harder-to-care-for fish that I'm not prepared for. I am also very open to other suggestions that maybe aren't so difficult. I've attached a video of my tank so you all can see the setup + what you think would look good! Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_7037.mov
    58 MB

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say no to se seahorses, as i they have to be with only their kind. if you feel ready to take on a challenge, then i would do a mandarin dragonette. only get one and make sure to restock the pods!

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here to convince you out of seahorses, they need a species specific tank, as other fish will bully them and outcompete them for food, leopard wrasse get a little big for a 60 gal, but @i cant think can definitely give you some interesting wrasse ideas if you think. Mandarin dragonette sounds like a decent choice

OP
OP
I

ivysbe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here to convince you out of seahorses, they need a species specific tank, as other fish will bully them and outcompete them for food, leopard wrasse get a little big for a 60 gal, but @i cant think can definitely give you some interesting wrasse ideas if you think. Mandarin dragonette sounds like a decent choice
Thanks! I knew they were a bad idea, but really just needed someone to tell me no :face-with-tears-of-joy:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I wanted to get some input on stocking ideas for my 60-gallon reef tank. Right now it's mainly empty (just a clownfish and royal gramma) and a bunch of corals. The tank itself is pretty well-established and I'm considering getting a more 'finicky' fish but can't seem to make up my mind. These are my ideas so far:

- Leopard wrasse: I think these guys are super neat-looking but I know they can be picky eaters. I don't want to get one and condemn it to starvation because it won't eat frozen food. I do dose the tank with copepods and am planning to start some pod cultures but I would like to avoid being dependent on pods.

- Mandarin dragonet: Sort of similar to the wrasse I know these guys are pretty crazy pod hunters. Would probably end up getting captive-bred just to maximize the chances of it eating prepared food.

- Seahorse pair(s?): Okay, I am well aware of how notoriously hard seahorses are to keep, but I want to get some opinions (or someone to talk me out of it!) Most of the corals in the tank, except for a large bubble coral are non-stinging and can be used as 'hitching posts.' I have a *lot* of xenia and kenya trees in the tank as well as a couple of gorgonians currently. I'd probably look into getting more gorgonians/more hitching posts if I went this route. Of course, the biggest issue with seahorses is feeding. Like the dragonet, I'd get the seahorses captive-bred so that they are more likely to accept frozen, but I'm more concerned about the frequency of feeding. I probably consistently feed frozen every other day, which most likely isn't enough to maintain healthy seahorses. Would having a large pod population help mitigate that? And would captive-bred seahorses even recognize pods as food?

Anyway, I'd appreciate y'alls input! I really don't want to make the jump and buy a harder-to-care-for fish that I'm not prepared for. I am also very open to other suggestions that maybe aren't so difficult. I've attached a video of my tank so you all can see the setup + what you think would look good! Thanks!
What are the dimensions of the tank?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back