Juvenile lined seahorse

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey y’all just got a juvenile lined seahorse rbat supposedly eats frozen mysis. I purchased mini mysis frozen and attempted to feed it today however my flow in my tank is very low because I used to have dwarf seahorses. Is there anything I can do to help with the flow or maybe adjust the direction? Any tips for FIRDT day? I’ve kept the light off except just to take this picture .
Temperature Is 77.6 is this too high? I’ve seen 74-75 recommendation

Thank you

image.jpg image.jpg

OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey y’all just got a juvenile lined seahorse rbat supposedly eats frozen mysis. I purchased mini mysis frozen and attempted to feed it today however my flow in my tank is very low because I used to have dwarf seahorses. Is there anything I can do to help with the flow or maybe adjust the direction? Any tips for FIRDT day? I’ve kept the light off except just to take this picture .

Thank you

image.jpg image.jpg
@Jay Hemdal @seahorse_reef @vetteguy53081

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has it eaten yet? Seahorses need to eat frequently, they graze all day.

Seahorses normally eat copepods as their normal diet, have you tried feeding pods? You can buy pods, can also buy things like frozen cyclops, can o cyclops, bottle of artic pods, etc.... Live baby brine shrimp should also work.

Seahorses don't like too much flow, they are not strong swimmers. At the same time, you should try to avoid the water becoming stagnant. There should be some agitation on the water surface at least, to help with gas exchange.

77.6 is higher than I would do it, I would keep it closer to 75

I don't have my seahorses yet, I will build my seahorse tank after Christmas, so I've been researching a lot and my rocks are curing and my mangrove tree growing

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you

image.jpg image.jpg

You've had this for 3 or 4 days now, right?
Can you contact the breeder to compare notes?
Why are the lights off, if it is too dark, it won't feed.
It might be a little warm, but that would make it feed more aggressively.

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Thank you

image.jpg image.jpg
They dont require much flow as they are slow swimmers and feeders. Frozen mysis in time is accepted but often you want to start with live foods such as brine shrimp, copepods and rotifiers. 76 is a good temp

OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They dont require much flow as they are slow swimmers and feeders. Frozen mysis in time is accepted but often you want to start with live foods such as brine shrimp, copepods and rotifiers. 76 is a good temp
Thank you for all the advice does any thing look of in these pictures below?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 42

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't see anything off in the pictures - is it breathing fast?

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Same here- appears normal
Maintain good water quality

OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't see anything off in the pictures - is it breathing fast?

Jay
No sir it doesn’t seem to have rapid breathing but I do have live bbs on standby , unfortunately my heater spiked randomly to 79.6 when I was at school for a hour or so before I got home to fix it. Both the mandarin and seahorse were fine

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No sir it doesn’t seem to have rapid breathing but I do have live bbs on standby , unfortunately my heater spiked randomly to 79.6 when I was at school for a hour or so before I got home to fix it. Both the mandarin and seahorse were fine

That temperature would not be a problem for the short term....

Jay

OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That temperature would not be a problem for the short term....

Jay
Was never fully sure if it ate the frozen and before I risked ANYTGING I have given live bbs the last 3 days is there a ways you suggest to hook it on frozen. I have mini mysis although some of the pieces do look normal. Here is the sehaorse pictures below currently posted

Attachments

• B417A844-0B08-4CC3-A409-C1E320FE003A.jpeg
    B417A844-0B08-4CC3-A409-C1E320FE003A.jpeg
    199.1 KB · Views: 31

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was never fully sure if it ate the frozen and before I risked ANYTGING I have given live bbs the last 3 days is there a ways you suggest to hook it on frozen. I have mini mysis although some of the pieces do look normal. Here is the sehaorse pictures below currently posted

Is it eating the live BBS?

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 4 days I already have hydroids appearing in my tank. Do I need to worry with the juvenile sehaorse and mandarin goby? Are there stings fatal?

Yes, baby brine grow those really well, but 4 days is fast for them to show up!

They aren't fatal except for baby fish, but they do irritate larger fish. Scrape and siphon is one technique. Public aquariums control them with chloroquine sometimes.

Jay

OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, baby brine grow those really well, but 4 days is fast for them to show up!

They aren't fatal except for baby fish, but they do irritate larger fish. Scrape and siphon is one technique. Public aquariums control them with chloroquine sometimes.

Jay
So a little update seahorse is alive and we’ll always hanging on the filter outflow at top right of tank. However the last day my mandarin goby has been squirming and only on the floor. It looks thin but I’ve been feeding live bbs daily two/three times I add. Nitrate is a little high at .15ppm but I did an immediate change. Seahorse doesn’t seem to have a affection to the water parameters with salinity 1.021 and temp 76.6

OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So a little update seahorse is alive and we’ll always hanging on the filter outflow at top right of tank. However the last day my mandarin goby has been squirming and only on the floor. It looks thin but I’ve been feeding live bbs daily two/three times I add. Nitrate is a little high at .15ppm but I did an immediate change. Seahorse doesn’t seem to have a affection to the water parameters with salinity 1.021 and temp 76.6
New update, I went ahead and bought another seahorse this was an adult! I do not have the mandarin in THis tank anymore, just the juvenile and adult seahorse. Plus 3 hermit crabs. When at the LFS I spotted this beautiful seahorse however the tail looked white and I asked the owner he said it looks fine. Upon taking it out in light I couldn’t tell and again I asked does this tail look normal. I have a feeling I should have gone with my gut because when I put him under decent bright lights this is what I got. I am worried about the seahorse I know it can be stressed but is resting in the sand. After it was added the juvenile swam over to the adult and latched onto him for 3 mins before departing .
Thoughts :( ?

Attachments

• 79A83C6D-E350-4794-A914-589A3D22297F.jpeg
    79A83C6D-E350-4794-A914-589A3D22297F.jpeg
    160.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 098FB44A-CD96-4D71-804D-181989A96D0C.jpeg
    098FB44A-CD96-4D71-804D-181989A96D0C.jpeg
    147.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 949286AB-55D9-4FAF-9EC7-3FF8BE2263B9.jpeg
    949286AB-55D9-4FAF-9EC7-3FF8BE2263B9.jpeg
    111.8 KB · Views: 23
OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
New update, I went ahead and bought another seahorse this was an adult! I do not have the mandarin in THis tank anymore, just the juvenile and adult seahorse. Plus 3 hermit crabs. When at the LFS I spotted this beautiful seahorse however the tail looked white and I asked the owner he said it looks fine. Upon taking it out in light I couldn’t tell and again I asked does this tail look normal. I have a feeling I should have gone with my gut because when I put him under decent bright lights this is what I got. I am worried about the seahorse I know it can be stressed but is resting in the sand. After it was added the juvenile swam over to the adult and latched onto him for 3 mins before departing .
I also added a bubbler to my tank because I have such low flow, I’m not sure if I need to keep this forever.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I can see some paleness near the end of the tail that is not normal, and is a pretty common sign of bacterial or Uronema in seahorses. Hopefully it is just a minor injury/scrape and it will go away.

Is the new horse eating?

Jay

OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can see some paleness near the end of the tail that is not normal, and is a pretty common sign of bacterial or Uronema in seahorses. Hopefully it is just a minor injury/scrape and it will go away.

Is the new horse eating?

Jay
The seahorse was added this afternoon so I have only tried feeding once I will try and again soon and wait for its response! It has been hitched onto a dead coral for the past 2 hours and moved from the resting spot on the sand. I tried mini mysis earlier I will try frozen brine shrimp soon.
Temperature 75.4

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 74.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back