Is it normal for me PH and Alk to drop during new tank cycle?

Pisquini

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it normal for me PH and Alk to drop during new tank cycle?

2 damsels 10 lb LR and 100 lbs dry rock.

I am into day 10 of my 150 gallon new tank cycle. Ammo = 0 Nitrite = 3.0 Nitrate = 20.

But it seems my PH and Alk been dropping steady. when I started PH = 8.0 Alk = 180

Now PH = 7.4 Alk = 80.

Should I do something?

Thanx in advance

grouse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pisquin
not to worry, sad to say when addiding damsels to a cycle thay are the sacrificial lambs, & as many of those make it through a cycle thay end up beein donated back to the place of purchase at some point in the future however
a local LFS near You used to keep there fish system @ 7.0 ph every day of the week so the damsels autta be able to take it

that beein said
it is common for organic waist to be acidic during the decompisition prossess it is not common place to worry about ph & alk during a cycle most times nitrAte levels after cycling require a resonable size water change at that point You would correct PH & alk & calc ect before adding livestock
aragonite substrate can help some to keep the alk & ph up a lil during cycling

You could dose a lil alk buffer & ph buffer if Ya feel You must but looking for a place to rehome the damsels if nessary & just letting er cycle would be My personal pick

OP
OP
Pisquini

Pisquini

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TY Grouse,

I made a mistake about my Alk, it is 180 not 80. Seems like only the PH is dropping.
My substrate is CaribSea Florida Crushed Coral, Geo-Marine Formula, and my Calcium is at 500.
Seems like I am peaked my Nitrite lvl at 5.0. it is dropping now, I am at 3.0.
Cinco and Demayo (my damsels, wife named them hehe) seem to be doing fine, they are eating and moving around quite a bit.
Is 10 days quick for my tanks Nitrite to be dropping already?

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TY Grouse,

I made a mistake about my Alk, it is 180 not 80. Seems like only the PH is dropping.
My substrate is CaribSea Florida Crushed Coral, Geo-Marine Formula, and my Calcium is at 500.
Seems like I am peaked my Nitrite lvl at 5.0. it is dropping now, I am at 3.0.
Cinco and Demayo (my damsels, wife named them hehe) seem to be doing fine, they are eating and moving around quite a bit.
Is 10 days quick for my tanks Nitrite to be dropping already?

with 10 lbs of live rock and 100lbs of dry rock i wouldnt add anything you want to keep yet.
what kinda dry rock did you use?

grouse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im kinda wondering where all the calc is comming from
regardless there is no cast in stone time frame for a cycle & when levels will drop or change just insure your
doing your tests accurately by the letter of the instructions , 30 days is an avarage number often thrown around but there are many variables that can influcence the avarage so compared to the avarage it dose seem a lil quick but not impossible
if ya head up to Reef & pond in bangor thay will doubble ck Your tests for Ya if Ya have any reasonable doubt of there validity dont know anymore if any of the other shops in the LV area are dooin free tests anymore but Ya could call around

OP
OP
Pisquini

Pisquini

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dry rock is from BRS it is Pukani and Reef saver. The live rock is Manado and 5 lbs rubble LR in my sump. I used Instant Ocean Reef Crystals Salt Mix. My Salinty is at 1.024 atm. I think that salt adds calcium.

Can I share my ReefNook profile with you? It has all my setup infor to date? It's called Smoop's Special Place if you can look it up?

My LR so far has been slowly growing red stuff on it. Also the Pukani DR has been getting red dots on it.

RonMidtownStomp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What Ca test kit are you using? Expiration date? I'd suggest doing the test 3 times in a row and seeing if you get different results. Most test kits are garbage and the testing methods are not very good. Ca in particular is hard to get a good result from.

In addition, you can run high Ca (500) and not hurt anything. Extra would just precipitate out.

Same basic question about pH. With an appropriate alk the pH should be fairly stable unless you have some really nasty stuff in your rocks.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 80 44.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 82 46.1%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.0%
Back