Is it normal for Phosphate levels to bounce around?

SteveG_inDC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if these include some bad readings (like the spike on 2/22) or whether this is normal fluctuation for phosphate levels. I'm trying to figure out how often I should test and how aggressively to feed/run phosphate remover.

Note that the x-axis is messed up. It assumes each measurement is the same interval, which it definitely is not. I've raised this with the developer of aquatic log but he hasn't fixed it yet. At least my testing is approximately every other day so this graph isn't too distorted. I have not figured out how to annotate the graph with events like water and equipment changes.

System is 250g
Feeding ~2 cubes/day + 1 sheet nori on average
Ran GFO for a while, then took offline, ran phosguard on a timer ~6 hours/day

1614640543827.png

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think some fluctuation is normal, but other than right at the start it looks reasonably stable considering testing error. The Feb 22 seems the only real outlier in my mind. There is some natural error margin in all tests....then factor in human error(not getting sample qty exact, not getting all regeant, not mixed enough, etc)

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if these include some bad readings (like the spike on 2/22) or whether this is normal fluctuation for phosphate levels. I'm trying to figure out how often I should test and how aggressively to feed/run phosphate remover.

Note that the x-axis is messed up. It assumes each measurement is the same interval, which it definitely is not. I've raised this with the developer of aquatic log but he hasn't fixed it yet. At least my testing is approximately every other day so this graph isn't too distorted. I have not figured out how to annotate the graph with events like water and equipment changes.

System is 250g
Feeding ~2 cubes/day + 1 sheet nori on average
Ran GFO for a while, then took offline, ran phosguard on a timer ~6 hours/day

1614640543827.png
if you are using the Hanna Checker, these numbers are approximately the same.

stanlalee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine like crazy between feeding and the next day. That to me is actually the difference between expert level reefers and us peasants. They have managed to automate or time feeding, amino acids and export to actually maintain something consistent hour to hour, day to day. I can go from 0.0 on the regular (not ultra low) Hanna to 0.12 over a 24 hour period with a feeding somewhere in there. I'd be happy with a 0.03-0.09 range.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine like crazy between feeding and the next day. That to me is actually the difference between expert level reefers and us peasants. They have managed to automate or time feeding, amino acids and export to actually maintain something consistent hour to hour, day to day. I can go from 0.0 on the regular (not ultra low) Hanna to 0.12 over a 24 hour period with a feeding somewhere in there. I'd be happy with a 0.03-0.09 range.
Nutrient, ph alk swings in a 24 period are normal, that's why we measure for trends at the same time each day.

stanlalee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nutrient, ph alk swings in a 24 period are normal, that's why we measure for trends at the same time each day.
I know but there are many people who use those trends and then counter those swings by autodosing (aminos, carbon sources, alk etc) at certain times to minimize those swings. I don't think phosphate levels and "dissolved" nutrients swing much in nature although temps do yet people still try to keep that within 0.5 deg F

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know but there are many people who use those trends and then counter those swings by autodosing (aminos, carbon sources, alk etc) at certain times to minimize those swings. I don't think phosphate levels and "dissolved" nutrients swing much in nature although temps do yet people still try to keep that within 0.5 deg F

We try to keep the "ideal" scenario as we understand it.....not necessarily to exactly match the ocean. Temperature stability is generally a good thing. Stability of phosphate is ideal also, but at that scale very difficult.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back