Is it possible to keep LPS while only doing water changes (no dosing)?

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a large enough system (say, 350 gallons or so), is it possible to keep a small amount of LPS (1-2 Micromussa colonies, 6 or so Trachyphyllias) without dosing calcium and alkalinity? Assume 50 gallon water changes each week, and some amount of calcium carbonate in the form of rock in the system, but no more than 20 pounds or so.

corey904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but it depends on what kinds on lps, how many in the tank and how often you do water changes but with the stats you said I would say it would probably do just fine

Brandon3152134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they wont grow as quickly but most lps are pretty tough. It definitely depends on their size and amount of corals in the tank that are growing.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a large enough system (say, 350 gallons or so), is it possible to keep a small amount of LPS (1-2 Micromussa colonies, 6 or so Trachyphyllias) without dosing calcium and alkalinity? Assume 50 gallon water changes each week, and some amount of calcium carbonate in the form of rock in the system, but no more than 20 pounds or so.
Short answer is yes. As long as the water changes replaces the elements the LPS consume and there is always a supply for them, they should be fine. Issue would be if the LPS are consuming more than the water changes are replenishing.

flampton

Ecological Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes definitely, but why? Dosing doesnt have to be everyday or elaborate in a situation like this, so like adding a teaspoon of kalk, AB or even something like all for reef won't give the lps such a bumpy ride so to speak.

Brandon3152134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I started my second reef I fixed the mistake I made with my first one by not chasing numbers. I find it's best to let the corals tell you what they want like if the seem a little bit closed up or not growing quickly Ik to check my water and fix the issue alot of times a water change will fix it but if the water changes start being less and less effective you can start with an easier dosing method like adding kalk to your top off water that way its slowly added daily and diluted so it doesnt cause and swings

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be totally fine for a very long time. And if you keep your lps trimmed it will be fine indefinitely

OP
OP
ichthyogeek

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be totally fine for a very long time. And if you keep your lps trimmed it will be fine indefinitely
The micromussas I plan on trimming excessively (and selling the frags), since they'll be in a 2.5 gallon area. The trachys on the other hand, I'd like to experiment with seeing if I can get them to sexually reproduce....so I might have to eventually look into dosing...:eek:

flampton

Ecological Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh okay! Well simplest way to get over that fear is to first dose by hand, keep track if forgetful, and monitor chemistry more in the beginning.

Another trick to start developing trust in a product by using it on an experimental 10G, doesn't even have to have macro life. You can test the immediate chemical changes without the other variables clouding it.

Oh and no pressure to dose! If you don't want to I have no problem with that in such a large system.

flampton

Ecological Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And no don't put kalk in your ATO unless you have multiple fail-safes that are checked regularly. You'll see quite a few reports of destroyed reefs not following this advice

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And no don't put kalk in your ATO unless you have multiple fail-safes that are checked regularly. You'll see quite a few reports of destroyed reefs not following this advice
You'll see the same reports of destroyed reefs (actually more) from people who dose using dosing pumps.... Anything automated is risky

Privateye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The answer is yes, in theory. Although as they grow you may need to increase the water changes as they consume more things.

Dosing is super easy, especially when you have low demand. High demand, then you look into dosing pumps or calcium reactors. It will save you lots of time and money long-term compared to water changes.

flampton

Ecological Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll see the same reports of destroyed reefs (actually more) from people who dose using dosing pumps.... Anything automated is risky
Yes totally agree! and that all such devices should have safety precautions, such as automatic shut off if dosing too long.

One of the safest available is a drip line, cause it usually fails by clogging :)

symon_say

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eventually water changes won't be sufficient to keep tank consumption and you'll have to dose or add a calcium reactor, in a tank that size calcium reactor might be the best bet, and If you're scare of dosing calcium reactor will be a nightmare, better start now that the impact will be less and learn how to dial with those system.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yes and that is all they require besides moderate light and water flow and some feedings

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dig this post up as I came home and at least 3g of rodi with kalk was dumped into my 120. My ato is Tunze and really disappointed.

now some of my lps looks really bad. I am making rodi now and hopefully will be ok after about 30% water change

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.6%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 73 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back