Is it possible to take decent Reef Tank Pictures with an iPhone??

benjabba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only camera I have right now is my iPhone 4. It takes pretty decent pics of everyday things but when it comes to taking pictures of my tanks it stinks. I can't seem to get rid of the blue saturation. I have several different combinations of light from LED to T5 and no matter what lights are on the pictures all come out blue. What apps are you guys and gals using to correct this. I should add it takes pretty decent pics when the tank lights are off and I am shooting through the glass with the flash set to on. Here are a couple examples of what I am talking about. Keep in mind I am not looking for a miracle here and I know I would get much better results with a real camera but this is all I have, or want, for now.

Lights out pic with flash. No editing other than resizing.

192.jpg

Pic with lights on. Lights are 119w LED and 175w MH. Both are 20K. Only resized this one aswell.

newpaly-1.jpg

Any help anybody can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ben

dgiglio3087

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know, i thought my iphone 4s took great photos, till i bought a dslr with 100mm macro lens , then i realized, its not even close! Either way for a phone great pic... Now if i could only hear people when i talk to them on my iphone lol j/k I LOVE APPLE PRODUCTS!

edit: i dont have that problem when i shoot my tank. Are your lights blue in person?? Can you turn off you actinics?

Last edited:

UCedumacasion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen it but don't know how. I'd say figure out if you can white balance it. That's what works with my Samsung, I just white balance and then it looks good for me.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back