Is it safe to add more fish

Vcamp25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I have two clownfish about an inch long in a 40gal breeder. I also have Blenny, a bubble coral, Zoas, leather and toadstool I was wondering if I could add 2 more clowns or if there is a better fish addition for color or am I at max?

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think adding another small fish or two would be too many, but your choice of another pair of clowns might be not the best option. They’re like pit bulls or elephants great animals but out of nowhere (insert Twilight Zone music) your newest clowns will end up dead. I’m just the first post though. Good luck.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd add a pair of captive-bred orchid dottybacks. They're lovely, lovely fish and add bright streaks of fuschia to your tanks. They're really like swimming exclamation points in the way that people often claim firefish to be, but they actually swim around instead of just hanging out in the water column.

You should note that some people have reported problems with these fish, but I've never seen any. I still don't know if the problem is that they're misidentifying some other species of aggressive dottyback (translation: purple dottyback) or if they're getting wild, highly unsocialized specimens.

I'm a huge fan of dwarf angels, but choose carefully before adding them to a smaller build. Coral beauty in a 40? Yes. Lemonpeel, flame, or flameback? Maybe. But I wouldn't a multicolour, keyhole, or most of the others in a tank that small. They really do like their territory (and swimming room) and will likely fight with a bonded clown pair over space.

Last edited:

Mr Cypher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!
If you want to add more than one add at same time I've had the best luck with the helfrichi fire fish they are less skittish than the others little more pricy but worth it! mine hangs with my tangs no problem

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My firefish went carpet surfing yesterday out of my IM40 and I couldn't save it. And I have a mesh screen on the tank! There was only a few millimeteres of a gap on the side where I had a cable going out! Sigh...

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 24.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 8.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back