Is it safe to use an oversized UV?

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75G FOWLR and I recently came across a good deal for an UV that’s rated up to 250g. The UV is coralife turbo twist 6x (18w). Question is if it’s safe to use it on a 75g. My concerns are 1) is it too powerful and it harms too much of the free floating denitrifying bacteria & 2) will it cause a heating issue. Thanks.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75G FOWLR and I recently came across a good deal for an UV that’s rated up to 250g. The UV is coralife turbo twist 6x (18w). Question is if it’s safe to use it on a 75g. My concerns are 1) is it too powerful and it harms too much of the free floating denitrifying bacteria & 2) will it cause a heating issue. Thanks.
You will be fine. Floating denitrifying bacteria is not your concern.
higher wattage is used in Dino treatment and that has no heating affect you have to be concerned about too.
You always have the option to not to run it 24/7 too as many others do the same

SantaMonica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bacteria of interest is on surfaces, and in the rock. So the UV won't hurt. Here's more...

Temporary UV technique for ich

This technique is simple: Keep a strong UV (such as 57 watts or more) and water pump in storage, and when you encounter ich then put the UV and water pump in a for a few weeks. When ich is gone, remove the UV and store it again. Has worked for me 5 times in a row, if I start using it as soon as any ich is seen.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.4%
Back