Is it shipping damage or mouth fungus?

Kim McD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to figure something out about my new blue eyed bristletooth tang...at the store he was, got him home he was fine, got up this morning to check, and he has a white area on his mouth. Should I get worried it’s fungus or did he hurt himself trying to get out of the bag? He’s eating like crazy and acts like nothing is wrong. He was trying like crazy to get out while I was acclimating him. Not sure what to do. Any advice?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking; what if the fish got its teeth tangled in the net during capture? I’ve had that happen with this group of fish. If so, hopefully it will just be a temporary issue. As long as it’s eating well, I’d not treat it yet. Marine fish don’t develop external fungal diseases, but it could develop into a bacterial infection.
Jay

OP
OP
K

Kim McD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking; what if the fish got its teeth tangled in the net during capture? I’ve had that happen with this group of fish. If so, hopefully it will just be a temporary issue. As long as it’s eating well, I’d not treat it yet. Marine fish don’t develop external fungal diseases, but it could develop into a bacterial infection.
Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back