Midas Blenny Dying from Terrible Mouth Fungus

waltersizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I got this Midas blenny from petco a couple days ago. He looked sick and I would not usually buy a sick fish but he I felt real bad for him and he was still eating so I figured I’d try to save him.

He has mouth fungus. Or something like that. His face literally looks like it’s melting off. At petco, He looked like he had a big white sore above his mouth but now it’s just raw flesh and it covers almost his whole face. It looks just like the description of mouth fungus “eroding away at the tissue.” See the photo and tell me what you think.

I got him two days ago. He has been on paracleanse and maracyn since yesterday. Not sure if you can mix them for saltwater fish but I had already dosed pracleanse before I realized it was a mouth infection. And while he is not doing well I don’t think the double dose of medicine is killing him.

So I have two questions: what can I do to save him? And if it doesn’t get better should I euthanize the fish? It’s something I haven’t considered before seeing this fish. I mean his face looks like it’s corroding away it looks miserable. I don’t know if it will kill him soon or if he will have to deal with having all of his skin melt off before he dies. I am going to keep treating him with maracyn for now and no more paracleanse. He does not appear to be eating.

EA6A9E28-0E67-46A0-94C4-043C6B836A26.jpeg 9BAB522B-2320-4981-A766-CDD5F581ED04.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think it's ok to continue Maracyn. If you had access to Neoplex or Kanaplex - it might be better

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello,

I got this Midas blenny from petco a couple days ago. He looked sick and I would not usually buy a sick fish but he I felt real bad for him and he was still eating so I figured I’d try to save him.

He has mouth fungus. Or something like that. His face literally looks like it’s melting off. At petco, He looked like he had a big white sore above his mouth but now it’s just raw flesh and it covers almost his whole face. It looks just like the description of mouth fungus “eroding away at the tissue.” See the photo and tell me what you think.

I got him two days ago. He has been on paracleanse and maracyn since yesterday. Not sure if you can mix them for saltwater fish but I had already dosed pracleanse before I realized it was a mouth infection. And while he is not doing well I don’t think the double dose of medicine is killing him.

So I have two questions: what can I do to save him? And if it doesn’t get better should I euthanize the fish? It’s something I haven’t considered before seeing this fish. I mean his face looks like it’s corroding away it looks miserable. I don’t know if it will kill him soon or if he will have to deal with having all of his skin melt off before he dies. I am going to keep treating him with maracyn for now and no more paracleanse. He does not appear to be eating.

EA6A9E28-0E67-46A0-94C4-043C6B836A26.jpeg 9BAB522B-2320-4981-A766-CDD5F581ED04.jpeg
Looks more like damage and Maracyn won’t do anything for this
Best is seachem neoplex or ruby rally pro which will take longer to work

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back