Lost my midas blenny, could an expert try and identify if it was due to sickness?

Bugzin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I still very new to fish keeping and reef tanks in general. I've had my tank since for almost a year. I had my Midas Blenny for 5 months and out of nowhere it started acting strange. Perched in the corner of the tank using its fins to hold itself about halfway up the tank, instead of his little hidey hole. He was no longer bright colored and now dark as they get when stressed. I started to worry gave it a day as he was still eating. Today he didn't want any food and I knew something was wrong because a Midas Blenny not wanting to eat doesn't happen. He was a voracious eater. As the day went on he could no longer hold himself up in the corner and sank to the bottom of the tank and what looked like was heavy breathing. At this point I went to take him out of the tank and quarantine him and I believe the stress of that tipped him over and he passed in the seconds of being in the net and walking over to the QT tank. After examining him, Idk what I'm lookin at. His face looks a bit rough but idk if thats dude to illness or rubbing against rockwork, So I'm hoping some expert eyes can help me out.

I have 2 clowns and scooter blenny in my tank currently and its buisness as usual for them. The pair are still happily playing in their torches and the blenny is hopping around the rockwork and occassionaly swimming around to the top of the tank. Any insight on the blenny would be helpful. It really happened so randomly. Just a few days ago he was swimming around perching in all his usual spots. His head is usually red.

Midas blen 1.jpg midas blen 2.jpg midas blen 3.jpg midas blen 4.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello everyone,

I still very new to fish keeping and reef tanks in general. I've had my tank since for almost a year. I had my Midas Blenny for 5 months and out of nowhere it started acting strange. Perched in the corner of the tank using its fins to hold itself about halfway up the tank, instead of his little hidey hole. He was no longer bright colored and now dark as they get when stressed. I started to worry gave it a day as he was still eating. Today he didn't want any food and I knew something was wrong because a Midas Blenny not wanting to eat doesn't happen. He was a voracious eater. As the day went on he could no longer hold himself up in the corner and sank to the bottom of the tank and what looked like was heavy breathing. At this point I went to take him out of the tank and quarantine him and I believe the stress of that tipped him over and he passed in the seconds of being in the net and walking over to the QT tank. After examining him, Idk what I'm lookin at. His face looks a bit rough but idk if thats dude to illness or rubbing against rockwork, So I'm hoping some expert eyes can help me out.

I have 2 clowns and scooter blenny in my tank currently and its buisness as usual for them. The pair are still happily playing in their torches and the blenny is hopping around the rockwork and occassionaly swimming around to the top of the tank. Any insight on the blenny would be helpful. It really happened so randomly. Just a few days ago he was swimming around perching in all his usual spots. His head is usually red.

Hard to tell with a dead carcass but looks skinny which is often a chronic issue with in which they stop eating and feed off their liver known as Eden

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

That discoloration on its head is really odd. That could be a bacterial infection. Midas blennies commonly have issues with starvation, and this ones head looks a bit large in relation to its body (one sign of this) but its belly isn't really pinched, so IDK.

Here is a post I made about "skinny blennies:

Jay

OP
OP
B

Bugzin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That discoloration on its head is really odd. That could be a bacterial infection. Midas blennies commonly have issues with starvation, and this ones head looks a bit large in relation to its body (one sign of this) but its belly isn't really pinched, so IDK.

Here is a post I made about "skinny blennies:

Jay
I fed him multiple times a day. Often times a mix of mysis/brine and at night some pellets. Could that have been damage from a torch sting or something? I do have multiple torches in my tank. I'm just shooting from the hip at this point

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fed him multiple times a day. Often times a mix of mysis/brine and at night some pellets. Could that have been damage from a torch sting or something? I do have multiple torches in my tank. I'm just shooting from the hip at this point

IDK - getting stuck headfirst into a torch might cause this sort of head lesion.....

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back