Is it something that looks like aptasia?

banghair

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so something just popped up in my tank like today (at least this is the first time it’s visible) it looks like aptasia but I’m not sure. I had a huuuuuuge problem with vermetid snails, I ended up completely restarting the tank. I emptied the tank and bleached it, new sand, new dry rock, the corals were all killed from the snails so didn’t need to worry about them bringing pests, cleaned the sump socks and bio media. This was 5 months ago, we haven’t added anything new this whole time.

But today what looks like two small aptasias have entered the building, is it possible somehow that these are aptasia, or could they be something else? They are so small I cannot get a good picture of them.

EDIT: I should mention, I have nassarius snails, bumble bee snails, hermit crabs, brittle starfish and clownfish who were all around pre tank restart.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so something just popped up in my tank like today (at least this is the first time it’s visible) it looks like aptasia but I’m not sure. I had a huuuuuuge problem with vermetid snails, I ended up completely restarting the tank. I emptied the tank and bleached it, new sand, new dry rock, the corals were all killed from the snails so didn’t need to worry about them bringing pests, cleaned the sump socks and bio media. This was 5 months ago, we haven’t added anything new this whole time.

But today what looks like two small aptasias have entered the building, is it possible somehow that these are aptasia, or could they be something else? They are so small I cannot get a good picture of them.

EDIT: I should mention, I have nassarius snails, bumble bee snails, hermit crabs, brittle starfish and clownfish who were all around pre tank restart.
Most likely you didn't kill the aiptasia when you "nuked" the vermitids. Aiptasia are immortal and cannot be eradicated without extraordinary interventions.

OP
OP
banghair

banghair

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely you didn't kill the aiptasia when you "nuked" the vermitids. Aiptasia are immortal and cannot be eradicated without extraordinary interventions.
I didn't use anything to kill them, I just took out all the rock and sand, moved the fish to a QT tank for a month and left the tank bare except for adding new sand after bleaching the tank to help with re-cycle. I took out all the rock, bleached it and sun-dried it for a month.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like its possible it could have been on my inverts or something like that?

Shells of snails and hermits are one possability. Any hard surface that was moved with the livestock is a possibility.

But without good pictures this is all hypothetical. There are forminiferans that could fit the desctription you given. Hydroids are another possibility

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 107 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back