Which caused the damage - the Brissel Worms or Aptasia?

dwarfseahorse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several small salt water reef tanks. I started getting aptasia in the smaller one and had already decided to remove most of my corals into the other tank because the crabs seems to be bothering them. Yes, I dipped my corals before putting them into the other tank. I then purchased Pepperment Shrimps and put them into both tanks (just incase any Aptasia was to showed up in the larger tank also). My thought was that the Peppermint Shrimp would eat the Aptasia and then I could start over with the smaller tank. Several of the Aptasia in the smaller tank were VERY large (they grow quick). I then realized that my larger tank also has some small Aptasia that had started. In the smaller tank I had a few crabs, a couple of corals still left, and some large and small aptasia. Within 12 hours of putting the Peppermint Shrimp into the smaller tank, just about everything died and the smell was awful. All the snails and crabs and peppermint shrimp were dead. In fact, the Aptasia even seemed to be gone. And then I saw it, 2 very large white Brissel Worms. What a mess, I immediately did a major water change, changed filters, etc. Looked up Brissel Worms and it seemed to say they were safe and helped clean the tank, so I left them in. In my larger tank everything was fine and the Pepperment Shrimp ate any Aptasia I had in there. My question now is what happened? Is it possible that with large Aptasia that Peppermint Shrimp end up getting stung by them instead of being able to eat them OR is it possible that Brissel Worms were able to sting everything in the tank and thus kill them? I do not know where the Brissel Worms came from or how long they had been there because I had never seen them until that day. Should I get a Dottyback which I have read will eat the Brissel Worms? I tried to remove them and they shrink up really small and hide.

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several small salt water reef tanks. I started getting aptasia in the smaller one and had already decided to remove most of my corals into the other tank because the crabs seems to be bothering them. Yes, I dipped my corals before putting them into the other tank. I then purchased Pepperment Shrimps and put them into both tanks (just incase any Aptasia was to showed up in the larger tank also). My thought was that the Peppermint Shrimp would eat the Aptasia and then I could start over with the smaller tank. Several of the Aptasia in the smaller tank were VERY large (they grow quick). I then realized that my larger tank also has some small Aptasia that had started. In the smaller tank I had a few crabs, a couple of corals still left, and some large and small aptasia. Within 12 hours of putting the Peppermint Shrimp into the smaller tank, just about everything died and the smell was awful. All the snails and crabs and peppermint shrimp were dead. In fact, the Aptasia even seemed to be gone. And then I saw it, 2 very large white Brissel Worms. What a mess, I immediately did a major water change, changed filters, etc. Looked up Brissel Worms and it seemed to say they were safe and helped clean the tank, so I left them in. In my larger tank everything was fine and the Pepperment Shrimp ate any Aptasia I had in there. My question now is what happened? Is it possible that with large Aptasia that Peppermint Shrimp end up getting stung by them instead of being able to eat them OR is it possible that Brissel Worms were able to sting everything in the tank and thus kill them? I do not know where the Brissel Worms came from or how long they had been there because I had never seen them until that day. Should I get a Dottyback which I have read will eat the Brissel Worms? I tried to remove them and they shrink up really small and hide.
Pics? Parameters?

As for your question, no aptasia and bristleworms cannot cause a tank crash.

OP
OP
D

dwarfseahorse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics? Parameters?

No, I didn't take pictures. It was a merky mess. I tested the water before I purchased the Peppermint Shrimp and everything was fine. The Peppermint Shrimp went into both tanks and the larger tank has no problem and the Peppermint Shrimp are alive and well there still. The problem only happened in the smaller tank that turned out to have those white Brissel Worms in it.

OP
OP
D

dwarfseahorse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I didn't take pictures. It was a merky mess. I tested the water before I purchased the Peppermint Shrimp and everything was fine. The Peppermint Shrimp went into both tanks and the larger tank has no problem and the Peppermint Shrimp are alive and well there still. The problem only happened in the smaller tank that turned out to have those white Brissel Worms in it.
The few crabs I had in the smaller tank also lived through all of that and are still there with the Brissel Worms.

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the entire tank crashed and even the inverts died, there's something that's gone gravely wrong. Without posting parameters or at least a photo, most people are not going to be able to help you.

#fishmedic

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the entire tank crashed and even the inverts died, there's something that's gone gravely wrong. Without posting parameters or at least a photo, most people are not going to be able to help you.

#fishmedic
Pics? Parameters?

Correct! Aiptasia and Bristleworms don't cause tank crashes.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%

Back