Is it worth it? Need advice

gmeazy01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I kinda need some advice. I have a nuvo peninsula 20gallon All-in-one tank and I am using the back chamber as a little refugium, by putting some bio filter pellets, chaeto, and IM chaeto nuvo light, FYI chaeto are growing, I had to cut some yesterday morning. Also on top of my refugium I made a DIY media basket where I placed a filter sponge and phosphate sponge ( these are replaced monthly)

On my first chamber, I have a filter socks and underneath it is one of those fluval stage 3 zeo-carbon that I replace monthly.

I do weekly water change of 20%=~4 gallons
I have 3 fish, 1 cleaner shrimp, and 3 turbo snails. I also have 10 corals and recently added my first SPS, which is a monti setosa, hence to why I want to bring my Phosphates down.

Now my question is, is it worth to get a protein skimmer (one of those IM or amazon ones) and also a media reactor to replace my ghetto but economical DIY media basket. The reason I am asking is I can't seem to bring down my phosphates. stays within 0.6-0.8 PPM and although my trachy are happy with those nutrients I want to bring it down to 0.1-0.2 gradually. Also I love toys so a protein skim and media reactor are kinda cool.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Gmeazy01

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those aren't staggering numbers. May try NoPox instead as a cheaper option. Takes a few weeks to work though.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 73 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back