Is less actually more?

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've always been guilty of packing my tanks with a multitude of frags and colonies and trying to fit that last acro in between the forest of acros and montis, praying that they do not cause warfare amongst each other. Just recently, I overhauled my tank (new rock), got rid of the frag racks and gave away half of my corals to my friends. I can honestly say that my tank looks much more realistic now and I have finally begun to see the light! (pun intended).:bigsmile: So, am I off base or is there anyone else who agrees with me? Does less equal more?

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the coral is place with thought, a crowded zoa garden or a ton if sps looks really nice, and along the reefs a lot of coral grow in preferential areas, looking quite crowded. It is all in the eye if the beholder though, as far as a lot of rock...I believe the added surface area provided by a lot of rock is beneficial and more rock is better to a reasonable proportion as long as you have the proper flow to move water across the surface area.

brahm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, we are from Socal.. Socal reef tanks are prop systems w/rocks! Colonies are for quitters! More frags! ;)

spscrazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when I first started 4 years ago I did my best to jam 175 lbs of live rock into my 95g tank trying for the 2 lbs per gal. of water that was recommended. 2 1/2 years later the nitrates were never under 30 I followed everyones recommendations trying to get them down I was told it's because I don't have a sump after joining this club every tank that I liked had way less rock the more I looked at my rocks the less I liked them so about 8 months ago I took out about 1/2 the rock & with the rest made caves & made sure there were open areas under each rock took 4 hours but turned out fantastic was worried that I had destroyed my biological balance in my tank but within 2 weeks nitrates were down to 10 & those were finished off by adding bio pellets so for me less really did equal more

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Less rock, More SPS :bigsmile:

Try as I might to maintain a "minimalist" look, I just can't resist adding just....one....more.....

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've managed to keep the LR to a minimum in my current tank, but it's packed to the gills with corals and I can't stop buying more...

Madreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a matter of choice and aesthetics. You can have four twelve inch acros or twelve four inch acros both ways can make for a beautiful display. IMO it comes down to placement and the amount of rock in the tank.

johnanddawn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the coral is place with thought, a crowded zoa garden or a ton if sps looks really nice, and along the reefs a lot of coral grow in preferential areas, looking quite crowded. It is all in the eye if the beholder though, as far as a lot of rock...I believe the added surface area provided by a lot of rock is beneficial and more rock is better to a reasonable proportion as long as you have the proper flow to move water across the surface area.

i agree - i like the filled in look - but it takes forethought and planning

the first time i saw a tank with just a small pile of rock or two, i thought it was pretty cool, but after seeing hundreds of mimic tanks like it, i like a more rock covered with well placed corals, that have been given time to mature some.

so yes less coral, well placed, and allowed to mature and fill in is my fav look, but theres nothing wrong with a little crowding of frags when first starting and then culling out a few to make room for the ones you really enjoy as they grow.

i never did like the endless or perpetual frag/display tank - just doesn't look right when tons of small corals fill every inch of space and sandbed imo

brahm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i never did like the endless or perpetual frag/display tank - just doesn't look right when tons of small corals fill every inch of space and sandbed imo

heh, nobody likes it but we have to have ALL the amazing ones.. and we can't help but take a couple frags to that swap next week. It's just an endless loop!

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 21 12.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 47 27.5%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 80 46.8%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 11.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back