Is Metroplex soaked foods invert safe?

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am in college, and I can only have one tank. So I pretty much QT as best as I can at the LFS store I work at and then bring them in. However my fish are prone to getting internal parasites, which I thought prazipro and somewhat copper would kill it, but it only kills worms. So I am using metroplex soaked pellets (which is pretty much like paste now) to treat them, in my display. I also have a Blood shrimp in there who has a voracious appetite and eventually ate some after being careful, actually ate a decent size chunk. It's still doing alright as it has been over a day, but is it truly safe? Is it ok if I can dump the medicated food in and let everything go at it? Anyone find this a problem? No corals yet as I have a huge shipment coming in next week.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am in college, and I can only have one tank. So I pretty much QT as best as I can at the LFS store I work at and then bring them in. However my fish are prone to getting internal parasites, which I thought prazipro and somewhat copper would kill it, but it only kills worms. So I am using metroplex soaked pellets (which is pretty much like paste now) to treat them, in my display. I also have a Blood shrimp in there who has a voracious appetite and eventually ate some after being careful, actually ate a decent size chunk. It's still doing alright as it has been over a day, but is it truly safe? Is it ok if I can dump the medicated food in and let everything go at it? Anyone find this a problem? No corals yet as I have a huge shipment coming in next week.
I’m guessing it’s ok. I just used nls pellets with metro in them for 2 weeks in my reef. No problems.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RXQ5KT0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Fishy_mcfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering the same thing because I soaked some food in metroplex then fed my tank and my skunk cleaner always gets some food and about an hour after feeding my shrimp was dead. I’ve had it for almost 7 months and it looked fine the day of the feeding to dropping dead shortly after feeding time.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use frozen food. Soak it with metro and focus. Focus binds the metro to the food. Spot feed it to fish. Just enough for them to eat. Syphon out what's not eaten.

When feeding, all pumps off. When done, pumps back on.

It can and will damage or kill inverts. Be careful.

I've done this in my reef before with good results.

Bob Loblaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost a Gig to metro soaked mysis. Thought I was being careful using a turkey blaster to remove any that got near the nem but one piece slipped by and that was all it took.

Last edited:

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost a Gig to metro soaked mysis. Thought I was being careful using a turkey blaster to remove any that got near the nem but one piece slipped by and that was all it took.

Bob, I'm sorry that happened. My experience with it is as follows:

I use a acrylic tube with a bulb on its end. Get the fish to one end of the tank that's safe and just the larger pieces of food. If needed, rinse the food of the smaller particles and use only the larger pieces. Suck up the pieces they don't eat at once.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's how I do it. I've done it a bunch of time, definitely gotten rid of worms, and with no invert fatalities (that I would ascribe to this, anyway.)

1. Take 2 full size cubes of Hikari mysis and/or brine shrimp and/or ocean plankton. Put them in a small tall walled container, like a mini beaker or Oxo measuring cup. No additional water.
2. Add 1 slightly heaping scoop of Seachem Focus.
3. Add 1 level scoop of API General Cure (use the scoop from Focus or Metroplex.)
4. Add a tiny bit, maybe 1/8 scoop, of Seachem Metroplex, to make up for the slight deficit of metronidazole in GC.
5. Let it thaw to above freezing, then mix it thoroughly with a wooden stick. Make sure there are no tiny white undissolved bits of medicine visible.
6. Use the stick to roll the mixture up onto the walls of the beaker. The shrimps tends to stick and the liquid tends to roll back down.
7. Collect the shrimps into another small container.
8. Feed this to your fish. Take a bit on a stick and dab it in the water. Wait for it all to be eaten before adding more. Try not to let any inverts get any. However I have had blood shrimp and cleaner shrimp grab huge medication soaked pieces and survive eating them, so that happens. Nems and corals might not do as well.
9. I do this daily for 1 week and then 5 days and 10 days later.

OP
OP
E

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blood shrimp is still doing fine. It's the second day that he grabbed a piece (he is a VERY voracious eater). However the ratio for Focus:Metroplex changed. It's now 5 scoops of Focus per one scoop of Metroplex for a tbsp of food. That is so that the medication really bounds into the food instead of leaching into the water. I'm guessing that's how he is still doing fine.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 69 40.4%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 86 50.3%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 3.5%
Back