IS MY CORAL DYING??

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought this fist full of dollars chalice coral on Sunday just come home checked my tank and seen this I can see white stuff on the outside I think that it is it’s skeleton ?
I drip acclimated it to my tank
Ammonia:0ppm
Nitrite:0ppm
Nitrate:0ppm
Ph:8.3
My lights are Maxspect jump
I have pictures from today and yesterday on there

8E181FBA-1DD5-43AB-8D27-95C627762A39.jpeg 93362389-BFDD-446D-B254-2DA1E2F3FD54.jpeg

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that's exposed skeleton. The chalice is dying.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't you already have several threads started addressing this same issue with dying corals? You aren't going to get any different advice on this one.

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't you already have several threads started addressing this same issue with dying corals? You aren't going to get any different advice on this one.
Sorry, this is a different issue to the other one

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's really just a continuation of this one, when you noted your corals looked like crap last week.

This is just a repeat without the emergency tag.

Plenty of people are happy to help, but it's really inefficient if people are giving you the same advice for the same issues across several threads.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, this is a different issue to the other one
I'm sorry you are going thru this.
But, this is kinda the same issue this time as well. I think your lighting and flow are not as powerful as they should be to support coral.
Did you get your test kits in yet? Keeping track of tests yourself would be a big plus in the right direction. Then you know where you are and where you are going to keep this tank stable. For a Coral to go south so quickly is telling me something is way off in this tank.

davy31

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm with the flow and lighting, maybe check in on the individual requirements for your corals in terms of placement and lighting and find the optimal point in the tank for them.

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's really just a continuation of this one, when you noted your corals looked like crap last week.

This is just a repeat without the emergency tag.

Plenty of people are happy to help, but it's really inefficient if people are giving you the same advice for the same issues across several threads.
Sorry I thought I had deleted the other repeat when I posted this one as I don’t think I posted it in the right place

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long? I have stopped drip acclimating all new corals. Float bag for 15 minutes and in the tank it goes

Did you ever get an ALK test kit?

I’m thinking your tank needs more flow/surface agitation.
My Alk and calcium tests are due to be delivered tomorrow
I have an extra powerhead for more surface agitation that I will add in

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider once you take action on suggestions already made, it may take awhile before you actually see a positive effect in the corals. It won't be an overnight thing. They might even continue to decline before bouncing back or might never bounce back even if the conditions are now good. Chalices are particularly touchy imo.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In regards to the light, you really need a par meter if you want to optimize it. Absent a par meter and growing LPS, err on the side of caution, not enough light is better than too much.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In regards to the light, you really need a par meter if you want to optimize it. Absent a par meter and growing LPS, err on the side of caution, not enough light is better than too much.

This is a critical point. An under lit coral may shift color and ultimately starve over time, but an over lit coral can slide past the point of no return pretty quickly.

Chalice corals need flow, but not to be blasted by flow.

As others have said, they sometimes thrive in tanks with a bit more nitrate.

The answer to the question in the title of the thread is "probably."

DAWREEFER

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider once you take action on suggestions already made, it may take awhile before you actually see a positive effect in the corals. It won't be an overnight thing. They might even continue to decline before bouncing back or might never bounce back even if the conditions are now good. Chalices are particularly touchy imo.
I agree with this. One of the things I have learned is that one change to your tank at a time and see the results. Too many changes at once you end up in a bigger problem than when you started with. I know its hard and you want to see it bounce back, but if you make many changes at once you stress out the chalice even more.

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for your replies sorry I am new to keeping coral so I have lots of questions and I am paranoid about things dying
This is the light I have:
It is on 12000K for 7 hours a day at
85% purple 85% light blue 65% dark blue 20% red 20% green and 20% yellow
I also have it on dark blue on the lowest brightness at night as a ‘night mode’
(I hope I have said that how you wanted it)

davy31

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for your replies sorry I am new to keeping coral so I have lots of questions and I am paranoid about things dying
This is the light I have:
It is on 12000K for 7 hours a day at
85% purple 85% light blue 65% dark blue 20% red 20% green and 20% yellow
I also have it on dark blue on the lowest brightness at night as a ‘night mode’
(I hope I have said that how you wanted it)
I am not sure if you are new to fish keeping in general, die off is something that may be a little more common in this hobby. Sometimes fish may die for various reasons and the same with corals. Panic and making a host of changes all at once could lead to more damage. I would suggest go back to the drawing board and understand your water better.and then figure out filtration and lighting.

Test PO4, NO3, Ammonia, Ph, Alk, Cal, Mag and Salinity. Test at a given time every day for a week just to understand what is going on with your water. Understand the uptake of these elements. And once you have this sorted, then get your testing to 2 times a week. Hanna checkers would be really good for the basics like NO3 High Range and PO4 ultra low range. Check if there are any swings in salinity,Ph, Alk, Cal. Are you using an RODI system, do you have a good resin for the Di phase, are you in a region where you can check metals in your water. This would be on the website of the company that handles water systems in your city or town,

Check you filtration, get the basics right with mech. Run activated carbon to help get rid of toxins or heavy metals that MAY be in the water. I actually use a canister filter and had it optimized to a point where my nitrates and phosphates bottomed out at 0 and messed up some soft corals. 0 nutrients is never a good thing. Corals are animals like all other animals that need nutrients to survive.

Finally your lighting, when your water is out of whack the lighting aint gonna fix that. So figure this out after you sorted out your water. I have not used Maxspect products so I will not comment on that. Different corals have different requirements so please read up on each coral that you put in your tank. Read up on placement, lighting, flow, nutrients to start of with. Forget about dosing at this stage, get the basics right. Go ahead and rent a PAR meter to help with placement options and always keep more that one placement option per coral so you can move them incase they aren't happy. If you have an app then make sure you set your levels based on the PAR and Placements and FORGET ABOUT IT. Do not keep changing that. I run AI Hydras and have an acclimation function, Check if you have that on your app. Personally I would get rid of moonlights till the tank has sort of settled in and give the corals some time without lights.

You can figure out flow in tandem with your lighting . These sorta go hand in hand for me. Flow is as important as lighing and optimising it to benefit most if not all should be the goal.

Lastly, if one coral is not happy and the others are thriving and real happy then do not change anything drastically to make that one coral happy. Just move it somewhere else and see how the flow and lighting affect it. Remember keep more that one placement option per coral in your tank.

Take it slow and sometimes you will deal with dead animals in this hobby. The main thing is to look after your water and if you got that down then that will look after your fish and corals. There is no overnight fixes in my opinion for both freshwater and saltwater aquariums.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I least you're doing something fancy, like trying to get acropora to spawn, moonlight is for you not the coral, and done incorrectly it will be at the expense of the coral.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back