IS MY CORAL DYING??

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve Got the Salinity down to 1.026 now at least according to my hydrometer, the only reason I got a hydrometer is because I’ve heard there are a lot of variables with a refractometer and lighting, angle, amount of water and many more things can affect results and everything has to be the exact same every time you test to get an accurate result
I’m hoping my corals can make a recovery, is it likely that they will?And would it be worth getting some coral food like reef roids and feeding them to help them recover?
Here are pictures of all of my coral today
Favia, chalice (I think that one is dead), acan, sponge and candy cane
Thats why we advise to never buy cheap in this hobby.... the cost of the refractometer plus the cost of the hydrometer is close to the cost of the hanna checker, which is the best of the best. (every one of us has been burned this way, a few times)

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve Got the Salinity down to 1.026 now at least according to my hydrometer, the only reason I got a hydrometer is because I’ve heard there are a lot of variables with a refractometer and lighting, angle, amount of water and many more things can affect results and everything has to be the exact same every time you test to get an accurate result
I’m hoping my corals can make a recovery, is it likely that they will?And would it be worth getting some coral food like reef roids and feeding them to help them recover?
Here are pictures of all of my coral today
Favia, chalice (I think that one is dead), acan, sponge and candy cane

FE4AA5B6-7F1F-486A-98C7-2E7291C9A7C6.jpeg 06702CE1-C386-41B9-9136-7B11D866D252.jpeg F4F9EFCA-5940-4930-9010-463D993C0FE4.jpeg BCFE585B-F287-46F3-906C-65A420BEC26F.jpeg 44FFEFCB-1B4C-47A4-919D-3A3F9341E42B.jpeg
1st and 3rd picture are gone.
2nd picture looks like it's holding on but it needs some serious help. Need to keep the water as stable as you can.

Now, do yourself a favor, take that hydrometer to someone you know in the hobby. Someone who knows what there SG is and check there water with it. Even a LFS, ask them what there SG is. Mark your hydrometer with a sharpie. Cuz it could be wrong, but testing it against a true SG, at least you know where the mark is.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1st and 3rd picture are gone.
2nd picture looks like it's holding on but it needs some serious help. Need to keep the water as stable as you can.

Now, do yourself a favor, take that hydrometer to someone you know in the hobby. Someone who knows what there SG is and check there water with it. Mark your hydrometer with a sharpie.
:( Thought my favia would be ok as it still has some purple colouration but I guess Salinity that high has really affected them
I don’t know anyone apart from the couple that run my lfs would that be ok ?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:( Thought my favia would be ok as it still has some purple colouration but I guess Salinity that high has really affected them
I don’t know anyone apart from the couple that run my lfs would that be ok ?
I think your seeing coraline algae. That is purple to.
Reread my last post, I edited it.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 169 67.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back