Is my fish dead of sleeping.

KaylaGaudet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i just recently started up my tank. I have 4 clownfish and this fish that I can’t remember the name of, the guy told me he sleeps on his side and acts dead when nervous. But the lights are on and he’s like this and he doesn’t wake up when a little wave hits him. Idk is he dead? What kind of fish is this
IMG_4493.jpeg

cohojoe412

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a carpenter wrasse and from
What I can see is dead… was it eating? Its stomach looks sunk in

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its not breathing, its dead. That looks like a dead fish.

You need a new lfs if they can't describe what a dead fish looks like. Also, if you don't know the name of a fish you bought, you clearly did no research as to how to take care of it, which may be why its currently rotting in your tank. Not to mention having 4 clownfish. Please research an animal before you decide to be its caretaker for your and and fish's sake.

OP
OP
K

KaylaGaudet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its not breathing, its dead. That looks like a dead fish.

You need a new lfs if they can't describe what a dead fish looks like. Also, if you don't know the name of a fish you bought, you clearly did no research as to how to take care of it, which may be why it’s currently rotting in your tank. Not to mention having 4 clownfish. Please research an animal before you decide to be its caretaker for your and and fish's sake.
I was simply asking questions. I do research all the time.. when I was at the aquarium store I asked lots of questions. Just because I can’t remember the name doesn’t mean I’m terrible at caring for my fish. Regarding 4 clown fish. The first 2 a bit bigger then the second 2 which prevents territorial from happening.

I’m learning but thanks for your feedback..

OP
OP
K

KaylaGaudet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a carpenter wrasse and from
What I can see is dead… was it eating? Its stomach looks sunk in
It is a carpenter wrasse! Thank you!

I got it Saturday, he was eating Saturday and Sunday and didn’t really eat today. Was swimming around about 10 hours ago came back from work and found him like this. ☹️ water was testing at an aquarium store before fish were added.

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding 4 clown fish. The first 2 a bit bigger then the second 2 which prevents territorial from happening.
That’s not how it works.

If your LFS told you that, I’d suggest that you stop asking for/taking their advice.

Baronen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen him the last two nights! Very very timid fish but hopefully settling in now. Ate a mouth full of ROE tonight.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

"Just keeps swimming!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was simply asking questions. I do research all the time.. when I was at the aquarium store I asked lots of questions. Just because I can’t remember the name doesn’t mean I’m terrible at caring for my fish. Regarding 4 clown fish. The first 2 a bit bigger then the second 2 which prevents territorial from happening.

Your tank is 70 gallons? If you really wanted two pairs of clowns you would need a huge tank. Maybe 8ft long? Some of the clowns are going to die, so if I were you I would return your least favorite pair.

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You asked a question and it was answered. You are getting bad advice from the store. I agree that you need to do more research and find a better store. The people on here are very knowledgeable and if any bad information is given, it will be called out. Ask your questions on here and listen to the advice. Fish do die due to reasons we cannot control, but none of us want to see a fish suffer because of bad information. Sorry about the loss:confused-face:!

PharmrJohn

The Dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am not intending on being patronizing, or condescending, but if you're weak on your knowledge of livestock in general, I can't help to wonder if that extends to your overall knowledge base of the ecosystem itself. Both in chemistry and equipment. I would highly suggest that you comb the forum for different aspects of the hobby and study cstefully. Also, BRSTv has some good videos on reefkeeping and husbandry.

ff2807

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Don't let it get to you some folks are just rude

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you are located in Ontario Canada? I wonder which LFS you went to?

Google multiple clowns per tank, it usually doesn't work out, we already know that 1 or 2 of those clowns will be beaten to death. Not trying to be mean or rude, but if you read the forum daily you will see it over and over again. It breaks out hearts, so thats why we suggest you to rehome 2 of the clowns while they are still alive.

Also notice you don't seem to have test kits, testing is vital in this hobby. Without test kits its like driving a car with no speedometer or gas gauge. Test kits (not API) should be the next purchase before livestock.

This is a rewarding hobby, but its not easy, you should research everything about a fish or coral before buying it, its really the best chance to keep it alive. How your tank is built is also very important to the fishes health and happiness. It doesn't sound like you quarantined the fish so you might have brought disease into the tank..... So much to know in this hobby.

If you want to post some details about your tank, or post a tank pic, I'm sure lots of folks will help. Otherwise this is a good place to start:

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 133 42.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 108 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back