Is my fish pregnant?

Mononine1000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is my Dalmatian Molly pregnant? I can’t tell I know they can hold sperm for up to 8 months but I have had the fish for longer( the other two fish I got yesterday) so idk she looks pregnant idkkk( pictures in my reply, vid didn’t work)

Attachments

• 71400753836__034EB1A3-4CB6-4AE2-8A78-BC942FB1736E.MOV
    1.6 MB
Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mononine1000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The video won’t load for me idk

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mononine1000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is my Dalmatian Molly pregnant? I can’t tell I know they can hold sperm for up to 8 months but I have had the fish for longer( the other two fish I got yesterday) so idk she looks pregnant idkkk
Also can some one tell me if I should isolate her soon

BLB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If she does spawn she will eat all the little ones unless you put her in a breeder box.
Make sure you know about water cycles and don’t put fresh tap water in there it will kill all your beneficial bacteria that you spent so long growing before introducing your new loved pet to new loving home.

OP
OP
M

Mononine1000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If she does spawn she will eat all the little ones unless you put her in a breeder box.
Make sure you know about water cycles and don’t put fresh tap water in there it will kill all your beneficial bacteria that you spent so long growing before introducing your new loved pet to new loving home.
I have a smaller tank with fresh well water I just set up to move her too. I have a moss ball and a heater in there to help with nitrates. Is it fine to move her in there after the water sets or whatever?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The video won’t load for me idk

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Yes and are live bearing and will give live birth - not spawn. Frozen baby brine and crushed flakes are great first foods and the fry generally make it on their own.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
37 weeks, almost ready to deliver ;)
Feel sorry for all those kids and no father in the picture.
I think the op has been over-feeding the virgin Molly and this bantering about her low moral character is an unfair stereotype that is unacceptable on a family friendly reef site?

If you got some new male friends leave her where they are if you want to have little ones. She does look old enough to become a baby momma but she’s going to need a daddy to help her get through.

OP
OP
M

Mononine1000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the op has been over-feeding the virgin Molly and this bantering about her low moral character is an unfair stereotype that is unacceptable on a family friendly reef site?

If you got some new male friends leave her where they are if you want to have little ones. She does look old enough to become a baby momma but she’s going to need a daddy to help her get through.
So she’s this big because I over Fed her? She does have dark spots on her abdomen but idk

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So she’s this big because I over Fed her? She does have dark spots on her abdomen but idk
I don’t know from the size but she needs a male to get her into reproductive mode. With out that she just stores up energy until she gets exposed to a mate. The livebearing females will get very extended when they are carrying babies. She looks big and healthy but not extra wide and extended, but with a mate she will.

BLB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a smaller tank with fresh well water I just set up to move her too. I have a moss ball and a heater in there to help with nitrates. Is it fine to move her in there after the water sets or whatever?
I’d leave her in the tank she is in (if the water is stable) and think about getting a fry box where she can spawn and all those little loved ones will enjoy the water that maintain. I hope you did research and if you didn’t I know you will. This is definitely the right place to start as most people start with Fw then move to sw tanks. I am like you still studying. The only suggestion I can give you is if the mother is healthy then that water is good (being filtered by beneficial bacteria) if you are just starting out then definitely research beneficial bacteria in aquariums and focus on that. I got nowhere before understanding these little life savers.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back