Is my fish stressed

xxjokerxx0415

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a sixline wrasse. If he’s stressed I may know the issue I’m just wondering if this is signs of stress.

He’s not the only fish in the tank, 30g, pair of clown fish, linear blenny, several clean up crew, bta, and frags.

I bought him at a lfs. Acclimated him to temp for about 20-30mins, then added small amounts of water to bag for another 20 to 30mins.

Added him to aquarium and he peacefully swam to the back of my rock and hiding in cave, fins are to the side, was breathing slightly heavy, his eyes were responsive when I shined light in tank to check on him, dorsal fin doesn’t seem to be straight back maybe a little bit but I still see his spikes very clearly.

All this in above paragraph ^ happened around 9-10pm Eastern time. It’s now 12:55am at the time I’m typing this. Everything remains the same but 2 things.

1. His eyes aren’t responsive to my light anymore. Before he was looking at the light and looking away I’ll move the light and he responded again. Right now I shine the light and he doesn’t move his eyes. He moved them once. But when I move the light to check his gills, they wouldn’t move again. Mind you he’s in a cave I need to maneuver the light the to make sure there’s no shadows blocking the gills. So yeah, eyes are barely responsive to light.

2. His breathing has calmed down to normal.

Is he getting more stressed? Is he sleeping? Is he going to die? Is he still acclimating? Just in a stressful way?

I don’t want him to die and I feel terrible. He would be suck a great addition to the aquarium.

This is the best picture I can get considering the tank is in my room where me and my wife sleep.

IMG_9569.jpeg

OP
OP
xxjokerxx0415

xxjokerxx0415

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give him a little to adjust. I think sleeping with the eye thing, my fish do that when they sleep and I have a light on them
give it time to adjust to your tank. You are shining a light in its face at 1 in the morning, that can induce stress and frighten it. Get yourself a red flashlight if you want to shine the light at the tank at night, it won't disturb the animals so.
The red flashlight thing is a myth. A red flashlight scares the **** out of fish.
Everyone thank you for your information. My six line who is now named lady (don’t know sex at all) is doing very well. Here’s a video I’d like to share with you guys from this morning.

Attachments

• 72347821438__8D4DE2F8-ABFE-4B89-8EA5-CEB9B326B0CB.mov
    20.8 MB

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My six line who is now named lady (don’t know sex at all)
Wrasses are all protogynous hermaphrodites. They start female and turn male. With a lot of species you can tell, sixlines might just get a little bigger and meaner when they transition.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back