Is my high po4 to blame ?

DrewBrees713

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My po4 is about .09 and i Got about 15 sps frags - Red dragon , green slimer, setosa, etc- the easy kinds. Only one died , the rest are fine , but theyre browning out. Is my Po4 too high ,ya think?
Got some HA on one if the glass.
Moderate flow, chinese black box on a 25g.
Alk8.4
Calc 420
Salinity .026

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank... How much flow do you have, what is the intensity of the lights?
All of these things come into play.. as does shipping in the middle of winter...
Many times corals will lose a bit of color when acclimating to a new tank..

OP
OP
D

DrewBrees713

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is less than a YO. I have a small Jebao wavemaker, 1 led black box at 40w/60b. I use RO/di water tested at 0 tds but stillbhave nuisance HA.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is less than a YO. I have a small Jebao wavemaker, 1 led black box at 40w/60b. I use RO/di water tested at 0 tds but stillbhave nuisance HA.
Sounds like your po4 has come down from the 0.4-0.6. Are you using the LC? Dropping po4 too fast can brown out sps and 0.09 isn’t high. Wwc and cherry corals keep their po4 that high. Did you use your cousins par meter?

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

DrewBrees713

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Texted my cousin, he’s on vac at the moment. Dripping LC is by far much more effective than regular gfo and im dialing it down one drop every 45 sec or so. Glad you remembered :)

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Texted my cousin, he’s on vac at the moment. Dripping LC is by far much more effective than regular gfo and im dialing it down one drop every 45 sec or so. Glad you remembered :)
I’m in the Heights area brother. You can borrow mine if you need to. I have the apogee 510

reefluvrr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High nitrate levels could also cause darker sps colors. Any idae on your nitrate levels as well?

OP
OP
D

DrewBrees713

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its awesome you were able to find a house on a good deal. Properties around town are going up in prices these days like crazy. I can never afford a place in the Heights. Half a garage, maybe :)

Trates is 5-10ppm. Api color chart is kinda hard to tell.
Just tested po4 with a hannah url checker and its at .03 now. I think i should stop dripping LC from here on out as it may not be any more beneficial to go any lower IMHO.

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its awesome you were able to find a house on a good deal. Properties around town are going up in prices these days like crazy. I can never afford a place in the Heights. Half a garage, maybe :)

Trates is 5-10ppm. Api color chart is kinda hard to tell.
Just tested po4 with a hannah url checker and its at .03 now. I think i should stop dripping LC from here on out as it may not be any more beneficial to go any lower IMHO.
Yeah. I got lucky for sure. 12 years ago this area was a little shady though. Took a gamble and it worked out. That’s not usually the case for me.

Are you using the ultra low phosphate or ultra low phosphorus? I find the phosphate very inaccurate. My phosphate will measure 0.05 but the phosphorus will measure 0.12 after the calculation.

reefluvrr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your parameters are in winthin normal range.
Now you should just be patient to let the new pieces adjust to your tank. Stable parameters will allow your corals to color up.

OP
OP
D

DrewBrees713

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang it i got the ULR phosphate :(
Just looked them up and Hannah makes a few different ones. TThey have the regukar phosphate checker, phosphate ulr, phosphorous ulr.
My REd sea kit registered .1 ppm vs .09 Hannah which isnt too far apart. But the Rs color chart is hard to differentiate between 0 and .1
I really dont buy corals from a lfs. Most of my stuffs came from ASD.

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang it i got the ULR phosphate :(
Just looked them up and Hannah makes a few different ones. TThey have the regukar phosphate checker, phosphate ulr, phosphorous ulr.
My REd sea kit registered .1 ppm vs .09 Hannah which isnt too far apart. But the Rs color chart is hard to differentiate between 0 and .1
I really dont buy corals from a lfs. Most of my stuffs came from ASD.
I don’t buy much if any livestock from lfs but there is a store around me called FJW. It’s a small shop but if you’ve never been in it, you’ll be blown away what he has in terms of hard goods/equipment/ supplements etc. Everything from Radion/Hydras/ T5’s to zeovit/triton, parts for tunze, all the popular stuff. It’s a great store if you ever need something fast. And he’ll match online prices. He keeps all the Hanna instrument reagents and checkers in stock.
He also just set up a shallow 180 tank that he plans to be high end sps only.

OP
OP
D

DrewBrees713

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea ive been there. Fjw sure does have lot diff corals and merchs. With that said, Dennis always jack up the price on me every time i visited. Not hating, just telling it like it is. Selection wise, it’s a great place.

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea ive been there. Fjw sure does have lot diff corals and merchs. With that said, Dennis always jack up the price on me every time i visited. Not hating, just telling it like it is. Selection wise, it’s a great place.
Poop, sorry to hear that. That hasn’t been my experience, but I only buy Hanna reagents, epoxy, salt, additives etc, and he always matches the big store online prices. Oh well. Never mind.

Back