Is my hydrometer working

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think of it like this: think of all the money you spent on your tank, salt, lights, fish, corals, that was a lot of money. Do you really want to rely on a cheap $20 tool to protect your thousand dollar investment?

Good call. They probably should start saving up for HPLC columns also so they can test their water.

hoffmeyerz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This. No calibration fluid needed. Just float in tank or other container deep enough to float it. It is calibrated for 77 degrees so as long as your temp is there, or very close, it's accurate every time!

OP
OP
Benji k

Benji k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Just make sure to get refractometer calibration solution. Before you do anything though, I would get (or make) some calibration solution for your hygrometer. It’s possible your local stores water is 1.021. Lots of stores keep their tanks at lower salinity and if you don’t specifically ask they don’t tell you.
yeah I’m getting it testers with a refractometer and I’ll see if the reading were right in the hydrometer or not and with the liquid how do I make it

OP
OP
Benji k

Benji k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This. No calibration fluid needed. Just float in tank or other container deep enough to float it. It is calibrated for 77 degrees so as long as your temp is there, or very close, it's accurate every time!

With the hydrometer I have it says the temp should be 25c and I’m not sure if it was at that temp and I don’t keep my tank at that temp exactly so would my test be correct

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah I’m getting it testers with a refractometer and I’ll see if the reading were right in the hydrometer or not and with the liquid how do I make it

288.87ml of distilled water and 11.13g of iodized salt will give you a solution of 1.026sg. If you need more fluid for your hygrometer to float, just scale those numbers up.

hoffmeyerz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity readings will very with temp. 25 Degrees Celsius is 77 fahrenheit, depending on how far off your temp is from calibrated temp of your tester your reading will be off.
I keep my tank at 78, the variation at one degree difference is too small for me to be concerned. You can find salinity correction tables for temp online.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back