Is my rock safe

Raideress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some carrib sea life rock from my old tank, was a year old and has been out a few months, is it safe to add just one piece to a 27 gallons reef tank, or should i treat it first somehow I have 4 rocks in there now, so will be a 5th roughly
Thanks kim

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be a tiny bit of dead stuff left on the rock but I highly doubt it would cause problems putting it in its not enough nutrients to cause a "crash" may be enough to cause a bit of algae. I just put (another) 30 pounds of uncured LR in my already established tank and the die off on the rock didn't cause me any serious issues just a little bit of gha.

OP
OP
Raideress

Raideress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be a tiny bit of dead stuff left on the rock but I highly doubt it would cause problems putting it in its not enough nutrients to cause a "crash" may be enough to cause a bit of algae. I just put (another) 30 pounds of uncured LR in my already established tank and the die off on the rock didn't cause me any serious issues just a little bit of gha.
ok thanks for letting me know, having a gha issue already from switching over to this tank using vibrant atm seems to be working

reefz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have similar question that I didnt want to open a new forum. I have about 45 pounds of live rock, that was in my old tank for about 6 months. Its purple and covered in dead algae. Will it be alright if I used it in my new system?

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have similar question that I didnt want to open a new forum. I have about 45 pounds of live rock, that was in my old tank for about 6 months. Its purple and covered in dead algae. Will it be alright if I used it in my new system?
If your planning on cycling the tank with rock in that's fine. I would wire brush off some of it just to prevent an extended ugly stage might take awhile break down leading to extended phosphate/nitrate release fueling algae breakouts.

reefz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your planning on cycling the tank with rock in that's fine. I would wire brush off some of it just to prevent an extended ugly stage might take awhile break down leading to extended phosphate/nitrate release fueling algae breakouts.
Ok should I soak it in freswater before i brush it off or nah

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always bleach any old, previously used rock that may have dried out organics or other foreign materials like dirt or debris. It takes minimal effort to reset the rock this way.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Safe GIF by memecandy

RSnodgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind it's all relative to the size of your system. How much rock volume is being added relative to the existing, and how dirty the rock is.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back