Is my sea hare okay?

Toshira99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my sea hare a few weeks ago - I’ve always wanted one but I know they’re super sensitive and need lots of food. I have a reef tank that had a mysterious hair algae outbreak and I thought it would be the perfect time to get one. I just noticed these weird spots on him today:
1537C9ED-5DFB-47AD-AFF9-76D880C9FBF4.jpeg
459AB8F8-EAC6-48E9-B748-0E4D6E664B49.jpeg

Is there something wrong? Did he maybe just injure himself being a dummy when falling off the glass as he climbed up the side? Or is he starting to die!? My parameters are:
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 5 ppm
pH: 8-8.2
Temp: 78F
Phosphate: 0 ppm
Sal: 1.027 sg

lmk if you need any more info and feel free to share any tips you may have! I have a Goni, a birdsnest, blue crush acro, forest fire digitata, aquaman monti, a green hammer, a Halle berry zoa, and a green implosion paly in the tank with him. He runs over the zoa and paly a lot which worries me I also have some snails and a leopard wrasse. I’ve never noticed the wrasse bother him so I seriously doubt it’s aggression. Everyone else seems fine, no signs of unhappy corals, so I’m hopeful there’s nothing wrong with him

OP
OP
T

Toshira99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had several; I don’t remember ever associating ‘spots’ with trouble— mostly a sign of trouble is when they begin to shrink in size.
Here’s a better photo - they’re like weird indents like he hurt himself. Haven’t noticed any other color change or shrinkage and he’s still very active

Attachments

• FFDD8014-FB5E-4F54-8EBE-5A373C39AC01.jpeg
    FFDD8014-FB5E-4F54-8EBE-5A373C39AC01.jpeg
    117.3 KB · Views: 68
Upvote 0

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t speak to exactly what the photos are trying to show, but in my experience in general, they can look a little rough and still be fine. Mostly I have found early signs of trouble to be 1) slowly but persistently shrinking in size, 2) getting very light in color and losing that nice deep coloring yours still has. Best wishes— Sea Hares are fantastic!

Upvote 0

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's difficult to see from these picks, but keep an eye on the back half where the poop hole is. If you see it start to split or if it looks like a shell is exposed, that's usually a sign that it's on the way out.

Upvote 0

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a better photo - they’re like weird indents like he hurt himself. Haven’t noticed any other color change or shrinkage and he’s still very active
This split in the back is what I just mentioned in my previous post. The next time it happens to me I'm going to try polysporin ointment bc leaving it alone has never ended up helping it get better

Upvote 0

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 45 29.4%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 32 20.9%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 54 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back