Is my skimmer going bad?

ziczac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have a skimz SK181 for a while now and am very happy with its performance. Recently I have noticed a strange behavior in term of current draw. I have it plugged in an EB8 and usually the amp reading for that EB8 is averaged around 2A. Then suddenly it will jump to 2.5A and stay there until I restart the skimmer. The same thing will cycle again after the skimmer has been running for a week or two. Is it time to replace the pump of the skimmer?

The pump is rated for 18W so technically the max current draw should be ~ 1.5A. Right now its only using 0.5A according to the EB8. When total current draw jumps to 2.5A, the skimmer is still using only 1A. I just dont understand why the jump and a restart will fix it.

I appreciate all the helps!

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a DC pump?

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Replace it with your skimmer backup pump you have and see if it does the same.

OP
OP
Z

ziczac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have a backup pump ;Sorry... Should I always have one on hand? I'm trying to see if the pump is really going bad before I purchase a new one from BRS

Grey Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes the EB8 Amp settings need to be recalibrated, using Telnet. I believe the instructions are in the downloadable Complete Manual for the Apex Classic, on the Neptune Systems web sight. Mine were getting out of wack and so the process worked for me. It’s not a very simple process for non-network people like me.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always should have one for the skimmer and return, backup wavemaker of some sort, battery operated airpump, extra heater, frozen bottles of water with RODI, medication, Quarantine Tank, empty 20 gal long, extra bulkheads that you have on your tank, small back up light and popcorn.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 75 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 74 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.2%
Back