Is my skimmer going bad?

Discussion in 'General Equipment, Hardware, Filtration' started by ziczac, Nov 10, 2017.

1. ziczac

ziczac Member

Hello,

I have a skimz SK181 for a while now and am very happy with its performance. Recently I have noticed a strange behavior in term of current draw. I have it plugged in an EB8 and usually the amp reading for that EB8 is averaged around 2A. Then suddenly it will jump to 2.5A and stay there until I restart the skimmer. The same thing will cycle again after the skimmer has been running for a week or two. Is it time to replace the pump of the skimmer?

The pump is rated for 18W so technically the max current draw should be ~ 1.5A. Right now its only using 0.5A according to the EB8. When total current draw jumps to 2.5A, the skimmer is still using only 1A. I just dont understand why the jump and a restart will fix it.

I appreciate all the helps!

Tags:

2. Diesel

Diesel String Stalker. R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Spotlight Award Photo of the Month Award Partner Member 2018

Is this a DC pump?

3. ziczac

ziczac Member

i think its an AC pump. I have no control over it

4. Diesel

Diesel String Stalker. R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Spotlight Award Photo of the Month Award Partner Member 2018

Replace it with your skimmer backup pump you have and see if it does the same.

5. ziczac

ziczac Member

I dont have a backup pump ;Sorry... Should I always have one on hand? I'm trying to see if the pump is really going bad before I purchase a new one from BRS

6. Grey Guy

Grey Guy Well-Known Member

Sometimes the EB8 Amp settings need to be recalibrated, using Telnet. I believe the instructions are in the downloadable Complete Manual for the Apex Classic, on the Neptune Systems web sight. Mine were getting out of wack and so the process worked for me. It’s not a very simple process for non-network people like me.

Diesel likes this.
  7. Diesel

Always should have one for the skimmer and return, backup wavemaker of some sort, battery operated airpump, extra heater, frozen bottles of water with RODI, medication, Quarantine Tank, empty 20 gal long, extra bulkheads that you have on your tank, small back up light and popcorn.

Grey Guy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted