Is my tank cycled?

wyatt2847

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my second reef tank but the first with dry rock and i wanna know when i should add a fish.im upgrading tanks and when should i be able to move everything from my old tank into the nee tank?

2 days ago my new system was reading .25 ammonia and .50 nitrite and last night everything was reading .25 ammonia 0 nitrite and 20 nitrate. The ammonia has been reading .25 for the last 2-3 weeks while my nitites where really high and those finally dropped down now.

i cycled the tank with live sand, dry rock, and turbo start and dosed fishless fuel up too 4 ppm ammonia like the bottle said.

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are using API test kits, then the 0.25 ammonia is probably 0.00.

Are you moving the rock from your old setup as well?

It sounds like the tank is cycled. If you aren't moving rock from the old tank, you could put a piece or two in your sump just to provide a bit of a safety net.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my second reef tank but the first with dry rock and i wanna know when i should add a fish.im upgrading tanks and when should i be able to move everything from my old tank into the nee tank?

2 days ago my new system was reading .25 ammonia and .50 nitrite and last night everything was reading .25 ammonia 0 nitrite and 20 nitrate. The ammonia has been reading .25 for the last 2-3 weeks while my nitites where really high and those finally dropped down now.

i cycled the tank with live sand, dry rock, and turbo start and dosed fishless fuel up too 4 ppm ammonia like the bottle said.
Sounds liked it is cycled

OP
OP
wyatt2847

wyatt2847

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea im using api i tried to get some other ones from the lfs but he swears by api just for those 3 basic tests. I might put some of the old rock in the new tank when i move things over but my tanks are all In ones so not much of a sump and my old rock work is for a drop off but my new tank isnt but i might break it up and use some of it for islands around my new rock work

Remy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is likely cycled but if you want to be safe do a good sized water change and add livestock slowly over a couple weeks and monitor for any spikes in ammonia or nitrites

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back