Is my wrasse dying? Weird behavior

lba4590

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my Carpenter’s flasher wrasse for 5 days now. He was swimming all over the tank, very outgoing, eating like a pig, I’ve been feeding small amounts of frozen 2-3 times per day. This morning he was no where to be found, but then I saw some mucous sticking out of the some of the rock and saw his face peeping through, laying on his side in a little cave.

Current parameters are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 2ppm nitrates, 0.2 phosphates, 79 degrees, 1.024 salinity. There may be some residual metroplex in the water as i fed some medicated food to my clowns (before getting him). I understand this is how they sleep but it’s noon here and the lights have been on several hours and he did not come out to eat when I fed this morning. He’s usually the first to the food. I really can’t see his body at all, should I try to coax him out of the rock or let him be? Is this normal or should I be concerned?

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
lba4590

lba4590

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, he came out, and he’s definitely dying :( Something is clearly wrong with his mouth (looks ripped off or maybe it’s just mucous?). Any ideas? I’m so sad, I loved this guy and he was so healthy seeming just yesterday!

B127FB04-603E-4F06-9EC8-850FA8EF53D7.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9040.MOV
    18.1 MB
OP
OP
lba4590

lba4590

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: he died very shortly after my last post. Went from perfectly healthy to dead in about 12 hours. He was fat, colorful, and I couldn’t see anything wrong with him other than his mouth. I did notice he couldn’t seem to close his mouth (since I got him) but assumed that was normal since he was eating fine... is that normal? I did a freshwater dip after he died to see if it was flukes and there were none. His mouth was all messed up looking, looked like some flesh and some mucous. Found several mucousy blobs around the tank. First fish to die and he was my favorite :(

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.0%
Back