Is my Zoa already dead?

Locrocker01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I finally decided to try my first Coral. I bought my Zoa frag from the LFS I always go to. It was obviously completely open there and closed up on the way home and during acclimation. Within 12 hours it was open and then completely closed and looks like shedding since then. It’s been exactly 7 days since I got it. I have it about 3-4 inches up from the bottom. Almost directly under the light (Prime 16 HD). I have been running Saxby Signature. My two Clowns, Diamond Goby, Snails, Hermits and Emerald crab are all doing great. Temp is 75.5 to 76.5, Salinity right between .24 and .25, Alkalinity is 8 and PH is 8. Any insight to what’s going on or advice for what I can do? Any help would be awesome.
BCD83A0D-FA7D-4D77-8C8B-25341B1D21F2.jpeg
90A072EC-4E26-4FAE-91F0-98EA5CCCAD11.jpeg

Last edited:

Jvalle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so not cycling issue have u checked ammonia levels? Or nitrates and phosphates ? Fish can handle elevated levels better than zoas you may not see anything impact on your fish but corals yes. I don’t think it’s light related I grow zoas in bright light and very low light so it seems it’s water quality related . Thx

Jvalle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do the following if it was me:
1. Check all water parameters - Alk, phosphate, nitrates, calcium, ammonia.
2. Dip coral in coral RX
3. After dipping move to higher light and blast it with flow. This will help it stay clean . I blast all my zoas it helps them although they need a few days to get adjusted to new flow. It keeps them clean and helps reduce junk settling on them which in turn can created fungus or disease.
Thanks

Reeffragger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eirher dip it in coral rx or dip it in 50/50 hydrogen peroxide and tabk water. Id probly do the peroxide

It isnt dead just looks dirty and a little sick. Your rocks look like they habe powder on them too. You need more flow to keep the powder from settling.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 126 59.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 76 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.6%
Back